Exterior Wall Siding

rferraro

Go to solution Solved by solver,

To clarify...

I've used a pony wall for the basement wall -- below grade is the house wrap, and above grade is stone.

I've arrived at the limit of how low I can get the stone to descend; it's way above tops of the basement windows, which is what I'm aiming for.

I've included the plan this time :)

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm trying to change the height of my siding.

I've maxed out the pony wall for both my basement wall and main floor wall.

I'd like the stone siding to end at the height of the basement windows, or conversly the vertical siding to reach the height of the basement windows.

Is there a technique to further subdivide the walls and maybe "spray on" the desired siding?

Thanks!

- Robert.

siding-issue-right.png

test-foxblock.plan

Edited by rferraro
clarification...

59 minutes ago, rferraro said:

I've maxed out the pony wall for both my basement wall and main floor wall.

You need to explain this -- what is "maxed out"?

If the basement wall is a pony wall, just set the split between upper and lower walls where you want it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidJPotter said:

Pony wall wall poly lines are adjustable in an elevation  camera view perpendicular to the wall you wish to edit. You can also use the "Custom Back splash" tool for adding material surfaces as well as using pony walls.

DJP

Hi David, thanks for replying.

I haven't used poly lines but am slightly familiar with using a custom back splash. I'll give that a shot. Do you know if that technique can be used to create a ledge at the top of the stone to give a visual seperation between the stone and the vertical siding?

• Solution

It's not obvious when you edit your original post to add additional info as we see the last post made and don't start over at the beginning. If you do so, add a comment saying you did so.

The simple way to do what you want is to use a Wall Covering applied in the Exterior Room.

Click just outside an exterior wall. It's easy to select the wall, but try again until you see a highlight that surrounds the plan. Open the room and add a Wall Covering to represent your rock.

You can also do this wall by wall if the rock does not wrap the house.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Eric, this works very well and is easy to apply. I'll try with a different project -- this makes pony walls unnecessary if their purpose is just to change the siding.

Appreciate the tip!

- Robert.

1 hour ago, Jo_Ann said:

The "purpose"  of a pony wall is NOT just to change the exterior material.   It can also change the wall types, upper and lower, from each other.

You need to read up on pony walls.

This is how I use pony walls, to, for example make the below grade basement wall all concrete as opposed to some other material.

I had found it useful and expedient to also use pony walls to change the exterior finish, but as Eric pointed out, this can be accomplished more easily by selecting all exterior walls and applying a wall covering.

1 hour ago, DavidJPotter said:

Wall poly-lines are how walls are portrayed since Chief/Home Designer started. That is what makes up walls in 3D, they are that way by default, take a look.

DJP

Yes, so much to look into, it can become overwhelming, especially since this is a one-off design for me. But it's coming, albeit slowly.

David, I see you're a Chief roof expert :) If I may...

I have a roof issue that affects the wall on the side of the house where the garage is attached.

This is using the automatically generated hip roof, so no manual changes on my end.

If I set the "Flat Ceiling Over This Room" on, the wall where the roof attaches to the house loses its siding.

Any idea what causes that?

Thanks!

- Robert.

13 minutes ago, rferraro said:

but as Eric pointed out, this can be accomplished more easily by selecting all exterior walls and applying a wall covering.

Just to be clear, my suggestion was to select the Exterior Room and apply the covering there. This is different than selecting walls.

Just now, solver said:

Just to be clear, my suggestion was to select the Exterior Room and apply the covering there. This is different than selecting walls.

Yes I noticed that Eric. The exterior room approach worked on all walls except the garage -- I don't know what's up with that, I'm looking into it.

Looking at your basement pony wall...I think you need to reassess it. 

The thin stone veneer is likely to be much thicker than 1/2" (more likely 3").  

Make the bottom half of the pony wall to be the thicker stone concrete wall, and the top half a siding-6 wall with the vertical wood siding material applied.
Now when you alter the height of the pony wall, you will see the stone ledge protruding out from the upper sided wall (as it should). 

You can add a shaped "ledge" to the wall using a library shape, or maybe a soffit with a molding applied.

The below ground part of the wall is where the backsplash would be best to use, with Hardie wrap material applied.

The wall won't be entirely correct, but the visible upper part of the wall will look better than what you currently have.

18 minutes ago, Jo_Ann said:

Looking at your basement pony wall...I think you need to reassess it. 

Yes, it's 3.5" plus the mortar. I was trying to model the materials as close to the real texture and color as possible so we can start choosing a color / material palette.

Also I find it a little harder to properly dimension the entire building before choosing the final materials for the outer walls. For example, we were thinking vinyl while we were creating the floor plan, and after costing the stone, we may yet return to that :)

If I'd dimensioned with the extra 3.5" it would have been confusing, at least to me!

Once all is selected I'll try and make everything more true-to life, including the siding material dimensions.

Thanks Jo_Ann.

36 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

If you wish something other than guesses, please post a copy of your plan file and describe clearly what each problem is using a screen capture image to show what is wrong please.

DJP

I wanted to! But I'm ashamed to admit that I couldn't find the "edit" post button anywhere :) so I figured I'd wait and if you replied, I'd have a chance to append it.

So the siding issue appears as I mentioned when I check the "Flat Ceiling Over This Room" to ON.

Even though it's set to draw automatically, part of the garage roof intersects the house roof...maybe I should report that as a software issue...?

Here's the plan and a pic of the problem...

roof-siding issue.jpg

test-foxblock-06-garage raised-var 01.plan