Porch columns with rock and wood

carries63

I recently purchased the Home Designer Suite to design a front porch and I'm trying to create columns that have stacked rock on the bottom and wood going up to the ceiling, but I can't figure out how to cover the columns with two different materials. Maybe it's not possible with the cheaper version that I purchased? I've attached an image of something similar to what I'm trying to create. Any advice would be appreciated!

Porch with rock and wood beam.jpg

Looks like a base cabinet for the base, the countertop for the top of the base and then a custom slab for the wood center post, you can make it yourself in about two minutes, give it a try. You remove the drawers, toe kick and make all four sides of the base cabinet smooth and place a stone material on the surface. You set the countertop thickness to 3". Then create a custom slab the thickness of the wood post so it connects with the roof soffit, set its material to wood and you are DONE!

DJP

Rookie65 - I looked in the Bonus Catalogs but didn't have any luck finding what I'm looking for.

David J Potter - I followed your instructions and was able to create something similar, but what I don't understand is how I can place the object I create where I want it, because my plan currently has posts on each end of the porch already, so I don't know how I can remove the existing posts without destroying my porch. Even if I uncheck newels/posts to make them invisible, the program still won't let me place an object in that space. I'm new to this program and, unfortunately, don't have a lot of time right now to watch the videos and get a better understanding. I was hoping for a "quick fix", but I will just convey my vision to my contractor! 

Thank you, Solver for your help, as well. 

Just use soffits or box shapes (library) to make the the bottom, cap, and even the post.   Size them correctly, add the correct materials, and ctrl drag them into each other.  DONE.  This IS the "quick fix"!

The toe kick CAN be deleted from a cabinet in Suite.

Yes, the toe kick can be deleted -- I should have finished my thought.

Pro has the ability to delete/change it from the General panel, or the Front panel. With Suite you must use the Front panel in the dialog.

10 hours ago, Jo_Ann said:

Just use soffits or box shapes (library) to make the the bottom, cap, and even the post.   Size them correctly, add the correct materials, and ctrl drag them into each other.  DONE.  This IS the "quick fix"!

The toe kick CAN be deleted from a cabinet in Suite.

Thank you everyone for your help...I obviously have a lot to learn! I was able to create what I want with your instructions, I just can't figure out how to put it at the end of my porch as columns. I built the porch using half walls, so when I click on the walls, the program is calling it deck railing and the the newels/posts are at the end of the porch holding the roof up. If I try to reduce the size of the front wall to make room for the pillars that I created, I lose the roof. If I make the posts "invisible", the program won't let me put my created pillars where they belong on the ends of the wall because the invisible posts are still there. I think if I could save my created pillar (base, cap and wood post) as a group and save it to my library, I can change my posts by picking it from the library, but I can't figure out how to save the three parts (base, cap and post) as a group to add it to the library. Is there a way to group several objects together and save them as one item in the program I have? Maybe I created my porch using the wrong technique to begin with? 

image.thumb.png.828e4279257339bfe3c991e6be08fec1.png

59 minutes ago, carries63 said:

I think if I could save my created pillar (base, cap and wood post) as a group and save it to my library, I can change my posts by picking it from the library, but I can't figure out how to save the three parts (base, cap and post) as a group to add it to the library. Is there a way to group several objects together and save them as one item in the program I have?

Not in Suite.