How to increase roof thickness for 3D?

rvbinder

I want to represent a roof structure over the rafters that is about 8" deep.

I tried increasing the Roof Plane.General.Measurements,Structure Thickness, but it makes no difference in the 3D rendering of the roof.

How can I do this?

The existing roof is a simple tent: 45 deg pitch, two gables, and covered in tar paper and 90+ year old slate. 

The new roof system will be:

1. Existing Deck (1x9 softwood boards over 2x6 rafters)
  2. Air Barrier
  3. 2" Polyiso Insulation sheets
  4. 2" EPS Insulation sheets
  5. Flat-laid 2x4s to create a venting channel
  6. 5/8" OSB or CDX Sheathing
  7. Ice and water underlayment, e.g., Grace 
  8. Steel Shingles

Before roof planes are built you set the "Framing, Roof" to match what and how you intend to build the roofs structurally. Once the roof planes are built if they had not been properly set in terms of their structure then you would have to manually adjust the existing roof planes by way of their structure tabs per roof plane to their intended structural settings. It is manifestly easier to get the settings correct BEFORE creating the roof system. This software delivers on the basis of correct settings by YOU and not otherwise.

DJP

Because HD lacks the ability to define layers in the roof structure, you will need to experiment with the tools it does have.

You could use 2 roof planes, one on top of the other, for example. 

Knowing what it should look like -- not so much how it will be built will help with the best suggestions. How will it be trimmed, for example.

• 1 month later...

@DavidJPotter I do not see any way to set the roof parameters to achieve the variation of interest, starting from scratch or thereafter. (1) Where exactly in the feature navigation would this be done?  When in the process of defining a roof plane would this be done?  Are you suggesting that I couldn't delete a plane and start over?