Railings Appear as Solid Walls

HobbleCreek

Go to solution Solved by Jo_Ann,

I am trying to design a monitor style barndominium with living area on one end and a large reception hall on the other.  I would like the ceiling above the reception hall to be open to the rafters.

I'm having a couple of issues with that room.  It is built as a two story with the upper story "open to below". I have extended the height of the main room on the lower level so that they come up to where the roof line of the "lean to" sides of the barn meet the exterior wall of the upper center aisle.  I have designated one of the walls as a "deck railing/fence" but for some reason it shows up as a solid wall.  The material for that wall is defined as Fir Stud 16" OC.  

1) How do I fix the "deck railing/fence" wall to display as railing instead of as a solid wall?

2) Even better, how do I make it a row of larger columns?

I have a similar issue with the balcony.  There is supposed to be a railing around the balcony but it shows up as a solid wall.  When I look at the railing specifications it looks like a normal railing, but not when I view the building using the "dollhouse" view.

Another problem is the walls on the sides of the balcony.  Not sure how to get rid of those.

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 7.58.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 8.09.32 AM.png

Monitor Roof Barndominium - With Silo.plan

• HobbleCreek changed the title to Railings Appear as Solid Walls
  • Solution

1) I do not see that large fir wall designated as a "railing".  Draw a railing wall over it, and change it's style in the railing wall dbx, to show only posts to ceiling.
2) On floor 1, delete the wall directly below the balcony railing wall, and the balcony railing will show correctly.
3) The balcony needs to be shortened, and the stairs extended over to it, to avoid bumping into the exterior/roof wall.  You can then set the portion of the new wall at the top of the stairs, as "invisible".
4) On floor 2, uncheck "flat ceiling over this room".  Architectural does not build rafters, so you will have to build your own (use sloped soffits).

• Upvote 1

Thanks @Jo_Ann.  All of those solutions worked just right. On the fir wall I had originally put it in as a regular wall then changed the wall type to some kind of railing.  Once I drew a new railing wall it worked just right.  

Is there a way for me to re-create the walls under the railing?  I was thinking of having a storage room under there.

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 9.54.32 AM.png