Gable ridge not lining up

Browneye

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

I am using Architectural so I do not have the option of manual roof design.  I have a gable ridge that is very near the outside of another gable wall.  Both hips have 12" slope.  It seems one top of the gable is taking on the overhange of the side of the house and one is stopping at the side of the house.  I'm including pictures of what it looks like in my design and what it should look like.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Left Side.JPG

Right Side.JPG

Front Elevation.JPG

Front Picture Should Be.JPG

Sorry, should have thought of that.  I'm attaching it now.  By the way, you will see the very strange things I did for the right side gable roof to generate that is above the rightmost hip roof.  It is still not the way it should be either.  The gable on the right side should be about a foot closer to the (left/right) center of the house. 

Farmhouse.plan

The baseline height of roof planes is determined by how you wet room ceiling heights. If your room ceiling heights are off or just wrong in each room then the roofs once built will look wrong like your posted image. Only if all rooms are set tot he same ceiling height values will the resulting roof planes also have a uniform fascia and baseline heights. Make sure also that you have set the Finished Ceiling Height value in "Edit - Default Settings - Floors  and Rooms - Finished Ceiling Height" BEFORE you create your model structure and do not make any alterations of those values until after your roofs are in place. Once roofs are as you wish them to be do not use "Auto Build roofs" again unless you are pursuing  new changes that require a new roof system.

DJP

6 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

The baseline height of roof planes is determined by how you wet room ceiling heights. If your room ceiling heights are off or just wrong in each room then the roofs once built will look wrong like your posted image. Only if all rooms are set tot he same ceiling height values will the resulting roof planes also have a uniform fascia and baseline heights. Make sure also that you have set the Finished Ceiling Height value in "Edit - Default Settings - Floors  and Rooms - Finished Ceiling Height" BEFORE you create your model structure and do not make any alterations of those values until after your roofs are in place. Once roofs are as you wish them to be do not use "Auto Build roofs" again unless you are pursuing  new changes that require a new roof system.

DJP

Thank you David.   If you don't mind, I want to restate what you said in my own words to confirm my understanding.

1. Set the finished ceiling height default and build all rooms at that height for a uniform fascia.
  2. Build the roof
  3. Turn off Auto Build roofs
  4. Change the heights of the ceilings as needed.

Also, if it helps, this is what the full front elevation should look like eventually.  Once exception is the part on the top left that is an above carport bonus jutting out.  I'm not adding that as I'm modifying for a detached garage.  I haven't added the gable roof line in the middle of the top section yet.  Also, I've reversed the plan.

Front Elevation.JPG

I'm just looking at the floor plan, pictures, and elevation drawings from a webpage and doing it myself.  This is my first time using plan design software so we can see if we even want to purchase the CAD from the webpage (architecturaldesigns.com).   It seems to me that one side of the bad ridge is using both correct default ceiling heights because the base is the same and the pitches are the same. I think the problem is the software is somehow assuming the gable roof eave which is behind and perpendicular to the ridge needs to carry down.  The ridge is very close to the perpendicular wall behind it.  I'm not planning on doing many home designs so I am trying to avoid paying for Pro just to fix the roof if someone knew something simple I'm missing that could fix it.

Thank you so much David.   Now I know I was not doing something wrong.  I might need to bite the bullet and purchase Pro because that roof problem has been bugging me for a week.  

Thank you solver.  The issue with your suggestion is that we have been looking at plans for 10 years now and this plan is the closest thing to what we want to build as our retirement home.  Not even other plans from the same architect come close.   We love the symmetry, layout, back porch, and several other features/specs.   We will be detaching the garage and pushing it out back and to the side a little more, rearranging the kitchen, and some other things.  These design changes were the whole reason for purchasing Chief Architect.  The plan is to attempt to build it in CA but only use our plan for the rough ideas to give to the architect we choose along with the CAD we purchase.  I will look at the link you posted.  We are just trying to do what we can to make 100% sure this is what we want to do before purchasing the CAD.  Of course once you start digging into CA and the plan, you want everything to look as good as it can be.