Abutting roofs sharing a wall, but different pitches

BVbuild

Hello,

I am a very new user to the Home Designer Pro 2021.

I’m designing a house that will be built in two phases.  Phase 1, a 3 bed ranch house with a 7/12 pitch.  Phase 2 will be the addition of a 2 1/2 car garage with a 12/12 pitch so that a studio apartment can be built in the attic.  The planning department want to see both phase 1 and 2 drawings before issuing the permission.

The building are 2 rectangles, the house 44’ wide and 28’ deep, the garage 28’ wide and 24’ deep.  So the back of the building will be 72’ long with the left hand wall 24’ deep and the right hand wall 28’ deep, with an abutting wall in the middle.  Both ends of the building will be gable ends.  A simple roof except for the different pitches.  (I figure when we get to building a fancy flashing will cover the join)  My problem is that when I build the roofs they won’t build as 2 separate roofs.  If I set the pitch at 12/12 for the garage this comes over onto the house roof. And weird valleys design themselves. 
I’ve put a break in the 72’ wall. Even then if I select the back roof on the 3D view it still selects both the garage and the house roof.

I select each wall and assign it a pitch or assign it as a gable end (including the abutting wall between the garage and the house).

Any suggestions?

One other thing...the program seems to be trying to keep the ridge height the same over both buildings.  My intention is that they will be different ridge heights, but I don’t seem to be able to turn this off either.