Ceiling Height Measurements

Browneye

Go to solution Solved by solver,

I am trying to determine exactly which settings to change in each room for the ceiling height.   I've always just measured from floor to ceiling but in this software things are much more detailed.  When I open a room's room specification window and go to structure, there are no measurements that would be exact.  For example, there is no measurement exactly at 108" for a 9' ceiling.  The closest measurements are Ceiling under absolute measurements, Rough Ceiling under relative heights, and Finished Ceiling under relative heights.

Which field would I change to go to a 10' ceiling and what would be the exact measurement to put in there?  I saw another post to just add 1' but which one should I add it to?  Also, I am very interested to know why no measurements are exactly 108" or 120".   I could understand why floor material thickness and ceiling drywall thickness would be excluded (which seems to be the rough ceiling height) but even that is not exact.  No combination of including or excluding flooring or ceiling thickness gets you to the exact 108" or 120".

• Solution

Walls are typically built using pre cut studs in lengths of 92.625, 104.625 and 116.625, for 8', 9' and 10' walls.

Add 4.5" for a single bottom and double top plates and you have your ceiling height.

Default 1st floor ceilings are 9' so just add or subtract in multiples of 12" for standard height walls.

32 minutes ago, Browneye said:

but which one should I add it to?

I'll adjust the Rough Ceiling, but you might experiment with changing other fields.

Whatever you do, set up your floor defaults first, then change any odd rooms individually.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Browneye said:

I see Floor/Ceiling Platform, Floor Levels, and Room Types under Floors and Rooms

All of them, but specifically Floor Levels.

It's easier on you to set up defaults before you start drawing.

----

Many questions have been asked and answered. The Home Designer website is a good place to start your search.

Here is a video about searching the forum: https://youtu.be/dDT6wbrrVRM

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)