Deck Bordering not adjusting the deck framing

JPK10points

image.png.b9b9aa527629dd3c9394fd0094f4fad7.png 

The issue I am having when bordering is when I set the "Number of Border Planks" to any number and set the "Plank Overhang" to say any length,  it has no effect on the outcome of the framing dimensions of the deck.  Using the framing dimensions provided from the program,  we end up being short on our decking and the deck looks less than professional.  The only work-around I have found is to manually adjust the framing to account for this error.  Seems like "Plank Overhang"  option has no effect on the framing, should be easy to do just regenerate the framing dimensions by subtracting the Plank Overhang from the overall deck dimensions if there is just one open end on a joist,  and x2 if it is a BEAM with 2 open ends. 

It takes an enormous amount of time to make these adjustments.  Wondering if there is a setting I'm missing somewhere or if anyone has a better work around? Maybe a newer version that accounts for this? 

Lately the bordering has become a more and more requested option on composite decks.  Composites planking are sold in 12/16/20 foot lengths.  If you have say a 12' decking border (coming from the house),  we need to miter the ends of the border decking and we typically go for a reveal or nosing on the planking (1" or 2"). If you frame the deck in the 12' dimension as discussed, you wind up with no reveal/nosing and so you would end up having seems on a wow factor feature.  It would seem like the "Plank Overhang"  would account for this,  I don't see what that option is doing. We do high end decks and this is almost always unacceptable for our clients.  

12 minutes ago, JPK10points said:

If you frame the deck in the 12' dimension as discussed

If you are using a 12' board and want a 1" overhang, then your framing, no matter what the program says is 143". Is this too much for your crews?

Doing high end decks you probably use a composite board to cover your wood rim, so you would need to account for it too.