Making a upstairs inside the attic. (1.5 story)

jonboy0086

I am building a house with bedrooms in the "attic" with stem walls and a 8' ceiling. what i want to do is use a truss with a 3' heel and then a 8/12 pitch roof off of that then use a 5' stem wall then use the rafters up to a 8' ceiling. I had a friend that did this in his house. how do you draw this in home designer? I can't even do a normal loft without the 3' heel. 

For adding attic type rooms under an existing roof system, the key is to accurately emulate the existing home. Then you "save-as" a copy of the "as-built" accurate model, then add a "blank Second floor" without rebuilding roofs. Then when you draw the walls for living space in what was the attic, you end up with what possible, living space is then available. It should be done carefully, checking the virtual model against the existing house with lots of dimensions to make sure that your copy is faithful to the original.

DJP

• 4 months later...

Good advice DJP, but how about this one: Existing 2 story house. Adding a 6 bay garage to it with roof planes to match existing. This creates an attic space above garage that is big enough for a room (or two).

I selected the garage room and made sure it had Roof over room and ceiling over room checked. I specified 9 1/2" ceiling structure.

When I changed the view to the second floor I saw the gable wall at the end of the garage, and of course the wall structure for the second floor of the house. Then I built walls to enclose the garage attic space (offset from the edges so that walls will not be protruding thru the roof).

After doing this, I tried to select the attic room to specify flooring, etc. But I could not select it.

So, visually the room exists, but as far as the program is concerned it does not.

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2015 at 0:05 PM, jonboy0086 said:

I am building a house with bedrooms in the "attic" with stem walls and a 8' ceiling. what i want to do is use a truss with a 3' heel and then a 8/12 pitch roof off of that then use a 5' stem wall then use the rafters up to a 8' ceiling. I had a friend that did this in his house. how do you draw this in home designer? I can't even do a normal loft without the 3' heel. 

This sounds like what I am attempting to do. I am just learning to use the software. I am trying to get a bonus area over a couple rooms.