Angled trim for gable roof parapet

Arkytek

I am trying to create a parapet wall on a gable end and struggling to figure out a way to make angled (in this case 45 degrees as the roof is 12/12 pitch) trim along the rake edge of this parapet.  I managed to make trim for the horizontal parts but so far no manipulation of CAD shapes or anything else I can find seems amenable to being suitably angled and placed flat against the wall.  I saw another thread that seemed vaguely related, wherein suggestions of using backsplash or soffits to make such plant-ons (in that case for a Tudor style house).  I struck out on those possibilities so am apparently not understanding the suggestions.

Parapet Wall at Front Gable.jpg

8 hours ago, Arkytek said:

suggestions of using backsplash

That's the best way -- what's the problem with that method?

Parapets often have a cap, and you can use a Ceiling Plane for that if needed.

Okay, I'll try harder to figure out how to use backsplash.  I must have missed something.  I'll also see if I can figure out how to use ceiling plane for the parapet cap.  Thanks.

Granville

It took me a bit to find the backsplash tool but I did and it worked as advertised to create those angled trim boards.  I was pleased to see that I could even specify their thckness and increase it from 3/4" to 1".  When I placed those angled trim boards, however, I found that (for whatever unknown reason) there was a bulge in the left-side sloped parapet wall top surface.  When I pulled that out, I got a new problem that no tweaking will now seem to eliminate, namely, that bogus "board" sticking out horizontally from the left edge of the parapet. 

I already had and still have that top corner of a "wall" that you can see in this image sticking through the main roof plane and that I've tried from every angle to address.  Opening the edit dialog on the wall that this protruding corner appears to be a part, from either side, doesn't show the protrusion existing.

I also tried to address the "ceiling plane" of that parapet, to create the cap, something it obviously needs and I certainly want to create, but can't see how to do that.  Perhaps the problem lies in how I created that parapet wall, by simply pulling up the wall in 3D view.

40 minutes ago, Arkytek said:

that you can see in this image

No image.

40 minutes ago, Arkytek said:

I also tried to address the "ceiling plane" of that parapet, to create the cap, something it obviously needs and I certainly want to create, but can't see how to do that.

Draw ceiling plane, adjust thickness. What are you having trouble doing?

ht1.thumb.png.16c83152800be373f9535c8c6b0d1cfe.png

I realized after your last post Eric that one of the problems was that I hadn't created any roof planes over the parapet.  It was just a wall sticking up.  I added roof planes to the sloped sections of parapet and that fixed that very nicely.  It also created the fascia for the top of the sloped sections of the parapet and I can see that to really be complete I'd do the same for the flat sections.  Thanks so much!

Meanwhile, fixing that somehow also fixed the "board" jutting out from the edge of the parapet's side.  Hmm...

Parapet Wall with trim--solved.jpg

I must fervently thank you Eric for all the help, especially as it's on the weekend!  I have added roof capping on the flat parts of the parapet (so far just the top and one side bit).  Tedious to get it just right but worth the trouble.  After a bit of rest and a glass of wine, I'll pull aside the finial from the other wing of the parapet and cap it as well but for now my eyes are tired of staring at my screen.  Thanks again.

Also thank you for the older thread about using the backsplash to create angled trim, to help another user to create wainscot paneling along a stairway.  That's something I'll want to do on this project as well.  While I did create such angled trims, using the suggested technique, which did exactly what I (thought I) wanted.  I'm sure I'll use that tip to great advantage later on, the other tip about roofing the parapet was the real solution.  This all shows how this forum makes the price of the software a right bargain and that really should be emphasized in the sales pitch.

Parapet Wall with trim--details.jpg