Always have dimensions from inside surfaces of walls

DanWEC

Hi, first time post here. 

This may seem like a silly question, but I do 99% interior work, and when I start duplicating a floor plan into the software, (Home designer pro 2021)  I use interior measurements. 

How do I select the interior surfaces to be the selected natively? Both with the auto dimension lines, and also the function where you click on a wall to make it active, then select the perpendicular wall auto dimension label, and change it to say 6', I want that 6' to be the immediate interior dimension without having to compensate and adjust for the wall thickness.

Pic attached.... would rather these all be interior surface dimensions.

Thanks much friends!

chiefarchitectsnipdimension.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

Nothing I've found or tried so far has solved the issue, and I can't believe it should be a difficult one.

I've gotten this far (see attached) by using the both surfaces for interior walls checkbox, and I'm also able to manually dimension the exterior walls properly by changing the Exterior Wall Defaults to Resize About Inner Surface, but from the correct surface on the interior walls, the auto dimension lines still go to the outside of the exterior wall, adding the wall thickness, which doesn't help at all.

cheifarchscreenshot2.jpg

2 minutes ago, DanWEC said:

the auto dimension lines still go to the outside of the exterior wall,

That's because they are auto EXTERIOR dimensions.

If you want Auto Interior Dimensions, you need to add that tool to your toolbar. This tool was removed from the default toolbar because it makes a mess with dimensions -- after you try it, you will see.

Here is a thread with some info.

You can also change this setting in your wall definition.

ht1.thumb.png.d4fa987213320910f324110af1811ed9.png

And I would recommend drawing an entire structure (does not need to be accurate, just form an enclosure) even if only doing a kitchen or bath, for example. Put a roof on it and build a foundation. Lots of small things work best with a complete building.

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into that one. I've seen the jumble from the auto interior dimension. I'm getting around this so far by just doing an Interior Dimension, then manually moving the label outside the room.