Straight Glass Pony Wall Height

mattsmith321

Hi everyone,

I am trying to replicate the pony wall with the glass top in the attached "Pony wall shower.jpg." I am fairly close to recreating it using the Straight Glass Pony Wall. However I am unable to lower the top half off the ceiling to bring it even with the door height. I read that I should be able to adjust the height in 3D view by selecting the top half and using the size handles to bring the top down to the desired level. Unfortunately there is no top handle as you can see in the "Straight Glass Pony Wall Height Handles.jpg" image. 

It seems like I should be able to lower it but I am obviously missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Pony wall shower.jpg

Straight Glass Pony Wall Height Handles.png

OR...Save yourself from the pony wall hassle.

Use a solid half wall for the entire wall, and then place a wall break where you want the entire wall to be glass.  Open this part of the wall and set it to be solid panels, with it's material set as glass.  Adjust the newel height (80"?) and add the door.   Add a thin soffit (set to the correct height; glass material) set on top of the part of the wall that is solid.

In the pic, different glass types are used to show the 2 wall sections.

image.thumb.png.5db7fe6d42c5c4d6a1a2424acb297f8c.png

Thanks to you both for responding and providing options.

@solver - Using a YouTube video is such an awesome way to demonstrate your point. While I'm new here, I've been around lots of forums for 20+ years and I think this was the first time I've seen someone do that. Very informative. I learned multiple things in just that 2 minute clip. Unfortunately, as you can see in my picture, I do have a little bit of a quirk in that the structure/framing appears to be cut out of the drywall where the new ceiling is located. I tried making the Ceiling Structure to be Drywall instead of Fir Framing but it didn't take. It did lower the glass though.

@Jo_Ann - I learned something from your post as well. I had not used soffits before. From what I tried, it would only let me place the soffit *next* to the half wall. Ideally it would allow me to place it on top of the wall and let me center it. Centered on top is how it would ultimately be implemented. Certainly from a quick visual perspective, this would meet my needs but then lacks the implementation detail.

Any other suggestions? Thanks again for the guidance.

Home_Designer_Architectural_2021_ouSMQplmvL.png

@solver - Awesome! Thanks so much for another video. I appreciate you taking the time to solve my specific problem.

I also appreciate the fact that you read between the lines and could tell that I don't know all of the details of how to use the application and you peppered in several tips that you thought I might be missing. And yes, I was completely missing the Ctrl key tip. I've been wanting to get more fine-grained control in a few areas but never quite cared enough to dig deeper. Given my level, I always defaulted to "Well, I guess it doesn't want me to put that there for a reason." I've also only dabbled with the Center function as well. Good to see an example.

And finally, I also appreciate the fact that you took the time to demonstrate both examples. It was interesting to see the slab example and I could totally foresee that it would show up in some of the views. I will probably move forward with the soffit approach for now, especially since you showed me the Ctrl feature.

Question: I'm on the cusp of bumping up to Pro. I recently bumped from Suite to Architectural to be able to control my walls better since my house is old and the walls are shiplap plus drywall. I didn't jump to Pro but I could. Do you think that there are enough advantages to upgrading that will help out with various quirks and make my life easier? Unfortunately, given that I'm primarily doing this for my own home renovation I can't make the big jump to Chief Architect.

Some time in the near future I will have to have you help me with my roof lines!

Thanks again!

p.s. You need a tip jar for your level and quality of replies.

I cannot imagine not using Pro. There are so many additional tools, but you need to spend the time learning them.

The problem is that unless you learn what Pro can do, you will not know how it can help.

And unless you learn what Architectural is capable of, you may upgrade needlessly.

Point taken. The Ctrl key was a big oversight. I used HD 10 years ago for floor layout when we were doing a remodel. Then shelved it and am now back for another remodel. This time I do need to spend more time on details and I am learning about a lot more of the capabilities.

Good news is that I was able to use the soffit approach to fix the divider. There are still lots of details to work through in there as well, but I am moving on to other floor layout issues in other rooms.

Thanks again!

Home_Designer_Architectural_2021-2021-03-27-org9.png