Custom Deck Railings (Creating various types)

bhisgen

Hello HomeTalk Community! I am the owner/ operator of a custom deck building co. in Northern Colorado. I need to be able to customize deck railing styles to show clients and potential clients various railing options. I've pretty much exhausted my YouTube searches as well as calling the company for assistance...They suggested I reach out to you all for help...HELP!!!:D Is Home Designer Pro the best option for me for this scenario. I love the program otherwise...It is a joy to work with! Anyway...Thanks HomeTalk Community for any help you might be able to glean onto me. Respectfully...

20150911_155931.jpg

1585834236051-e2f624c9-8275-4c89-a950-8ca654596773.jpg

030.jpg

016.jpg

008.jpg

If you are using the program for a business, and you wish to use one of the Home Designer products, then you should purchase Home Designer Pro.

There are lots of auto-build possibilities for railings, but some designs might need to be created from scratch (piece by piece).

You need to download the trial version of Pro, to see for yourself what it offers, and if you like it.

Should you decide you would like to upgrade (after purchasing  Pro) to Chief Premier, Chief Architect offers a substantial discount.

One of the biggest shortcomings is no support for face mounted components. 

There are ways around this, but they are a pain. This is well discussed on ChiefTalk. Feel free to browse over there, but please remember, that's the forum for Chief Interiors and Premier users, not Home Designer.

Here is one to get you started -- don't know of it applies to Pro as well.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/19447-video-lesson-face-mounted-deck-railnewels/?do=findComment&comment=159349

Yes, Eric...Thanks. I had already found that video that you had attached. This seems to be a real detriment to this product. I love this product and don't want to have to switch to something else. Seems like it'd be a cinch for such an awesome group of developers. 

HD Pro 2021 offers some customizable rails where you can adjust thickness and width. Nothing with a radius though. I can't remember if that was available in 2020 or not. Might be an upgrade that could work for you. Like Jo_Ann said, download the trial and see if that's different.

I didn't realize the pics you posted were the problem railings, so I set out on a mission to recreate the rail in the 1st pic.  I think it's pretty close.  The objects used are color coded.

I drew a rail.  Unchecked upper rail and lower rail; set newels to 0" width; set balusters to .75".
Upper and lower rails are replaced with soffits.  Top horizontal rail is a soffit; arched top is a cylinder shape.
Post is a box shape.  Bottom post trim is 2 soffits; top of post is a millwork cap.
The decorative trim on the post (where the rails join onto) is a profiled cabinet drawer from the library.

image.thumb.png.42c030d1a8454dbc1aa700dcf962816c.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...