Home Designer Suite 2015 Roofing Question

JMH283Lions

Morning Everyone,

New to the software.  I am an ACAD user, and found this software to be excellent after a few videos, and trials.  I am working on a home/ addition project and continuing to have roofing issues.  I feel I am getting close, but stuck even after reviewing and trying many posts, guides etc.

The home should show a dormer post-1631-0-36434800-1422022193_thumb.jpgpost-1631-0-31545300-1422022194_thumb.jpgpost-1631-0-91349200-1422022190_thumb.jpgpost-1631-0-51356100-1422022192_thumb.jpg

Thanks in ADvance,

Jeremiah

In Suite, you guide the software to a desired result by settings alone (unlike HD Pro where you can manually manipulate roof objects). The same is true for "Dormers" in that the default settings (Edit- Default Settings - Dormer) must be planned out (set up) to fit the geometry (space-location) of the roof where you intend to then place a dormer object. The dormer object must perfectly fit within the boundaries of a single roof plane (Dormers cannot cross the edge of adjacent roof planes).

So you either carefully set up and plan your Dormer or you do a lot of trial and error until you get the right settings.

Dormers can also be automatically created provided the correct set up and planning is done (see Knowledge Base at the Home Designer Website for specific help articles on how to create, dormers by preplanning and set up. The Reference Manual also contains Help articles about dormer creation).

I suggest the study followed by practice method over mere trial and error (the number of possible "fails" is infinite whereas there are only a few correct combinations that add up to success).

DJP

You have really chosen a complicated design for a new user to this software  (different floor elevations, ceiling heights, invisible walls needed, dormers, building angles, roof pitches, and the addition on the chimney end of the house is a problem all on it's own).  What David said about the geometry needing to be correct is an understatement!  Roof overhangs can create a problem too (when they overlap each other).  YIKES!

It CAN be done, but WOW what a headache for you!!

Thanks Everyone!  Attached is my plan.  Any help would great.  I see two main areas that are causing issues (the house knee wall recognition and the shed dormer connector on the mudroom connecting to the proper pitch/tie-in to the garage.

I did go back to basics and re-try a few basic tutorials and I notice that on a new plan from scratch, I do the 30' x40' model toturial from the videos, add two knee walls at 5' in (names them as such) and it only seems to recognize one of them.  I can delete them, redraw,and still it only accepts one?....seems to acknoledge the first one I draw, then not the second one (IE I the roof ignores the 2nd knee wall added-front or rear)

I would be willing to pay for some service needed, as this is a once/done type project need.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Hoffman283.plan

Thanks Mick,

I attached above are a few screen shots from ACAD that show it pretty well.  And attched is the PDF set of plans (You can get a good idea with the framing views.  The mudroom, elevation changes, layout of that space etc. are a bit of a challenge even to visualize for the builder, so that prompted the desire for Home designer.  Please notes my PDF set of plans show the garage as a 50 degree angle from the house (per survey), but to ease the build we are building it at a 45 deg and that is what is show in the home designer plan.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

283Lions2D_10FTMudroom102914.pdf

Hi J.   a lot of the Issues at least on the Main House are due to the fact that you have multiple different Floor and Ceiling height Issues, every room seems to be different? , try setting them to the Default and see what happens.

There is no floor in the Hall at the top of the stairwell ,use a Room divider to give the Hall its own Room Def. as hall to get the Floor back

One tip especially with Suite and lower Titles is to build ALL of each level as you go , I see the missing Workshop and Cathedral Rm on the LH end but the issue is trying to add extra floors and the roof as Suite only have auto roofs , turn it back on and you could destroy the other parts of the house. Same issue with the basement area of the Workshop , rebuilding the Basement will cause it to be deleted and rebuilt for the whole "site". At least I don't think Suite has manual basement options?

Let me know how you get on.

M.

Update,

So I'm getting real close- thanks for everyone's help.  Geometry checking is certainly key as well as looking at each room definition and teh associated structural deisgn.  Something is still a bit off with the garage tie-in.  Hope to correct it soon.  Any tips on roof tie-ins there would be great.

Thanks Everyone!

J

post-1631-0-02857400-1422456553_thumb.jpg

post-1631-0-37863400-1422456554_thumb.jpg

Thanks Everyone!

I got it to where I need it.   I have two small corrections- that aren't mandatory, but would like to experiment with.  One is to move a window on the gable end centered over the mudroom wall (doesn't allow this?) and the other is to tie in the farmer porch to the garage roof.

Thanks Again.

post-1631-0-92521300-1422550842_thumb.jpg

For the window:

Temporarily turn off 'auto build roof'.  Add/change the walls shown in the diagram.

Slide the window into position.  Return the wall structure to the way it was originally.

Turn 'auto build roof' back on.

The window should remain where you put it.

Tying in the porch roof to the garage:

I have been playing with that and haven't found a solution yet.  :angry:

With my software title, I could make it visually correct (not structurally) by adding a sloped soffit with roofing material added. Suite doesn't have sloped soffits.

However, you might be able to get a 'wedge' shape (library) to cover the space correctly.

Add a soffit for the fascia.

Still not structurally correct, but looks okay in 3d.

post-63-0-71440300-1422559181_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...