Roof Design

Babbhill

I'm new to pro, trying to design a roof that has a short wall in the front 4' for the second story and full 8' wall in back with a full height first floor.  A farmer style or salt box style.  then i want to put a gable and two small shed sections.  i am having trouble figuring out how to make just one wall short and build the roof.  would like 8" pitch on the back and 12"on the front.

Please post a sketch or photo of an existing, similar roof so others who might wish to help you, then can. BTW this software is more often used fo "Model" roof systems as opposed to "designing" them, I guess either definition works.

HD Pro has manual roof tools that allow you to manually place roof planes at differing heights and locations. Auto-Build roof with its pre-settings is a VERY limited way to Model er design roof systems, especially non-symmetric ones.

DJP

Your roof is easy to automatically build (shown below) if you learn, and think about how the program builds roofs.

It's also easy to do using the manual roof tools.

I've linked some learning resources above. 

ht1.thumb.png.61c3a7d4880a5ee8ce1ac4e19d27a9bc.png

The Help system has info too.

ht2.thumb.png.34c2b1528cabf99bd455687fb393b096.png

Thank you for the replies, hopefully the signature works, if not, Home Designer Pro 2021.  I have recently downloaded this program, I have spent quite a bit of time watching and studying the resources available but can't seem to get this one solved.  Please see attached photo, this is a rough sketch, I have many others that are much more complete with windows and doors.  What I am trying to achieve is the front of the house second wall being 4' with an 8/12 pitch on the back roof and a 12/12 pitch on the front roof.  Possibly also a offset style ridge as on the garage. Then I would like to add a gable on the right side and at least one shed and possibly two to the right side of it.  I 

BP Gable and Shed.pdf

It's easier for us if you post images directly instead of a PDF of an image. This makes it easier for others as an image shows in the forum.

What's stopping you from doing what you want? 

8 minutes ago, Babbhill said:

What I am trying to achieve is the front of the house second wall being 4'

How do you control that wall height? What if you wanted the front and back walls to be 4'. How would you do that?

What if you were building a single story house with 10' walls, how would you do that?

2 hours ago, solver said:

What if you were building a single story house with 10' walls, how would you do that?

The answer to this is fundamental to understanding how the program works.

Draw a 1 room structure. Make the right and left walls gable. Draw an interior wall down the middle connecting the gable walls. Turn on auto rebuild roofs.

Split the screen so you have the plan and a perspective overview showing.

What happens when you change the ceiling height in one of the rooms?

What happens when you move the center wall?

Open one of the non gable walls and change the pitch -- what happens?

Thanks for the explanation, did the above and see at at high level what happens.  Let me digest it and think about how it applies to my application as I don't want a wall splitting the rooms across the long dimension and I will circle back.

Thanks

29 minutes ago, Babbhill said:

I don't want a wall splitting the rooms

The wall is only a tool used to force the roof to build as you want.

Once the roof is correct, you turn off auto rebuild roofs, and delete the wall.

Changing ceiling heights is the same. Once the roof is correct, you are free to set ceilings to their actual height.

You also have manual roof planes and for a simple project like this, would be easy after a bit of study and practice.