Materials & default materials - assigning, changing, resetting

4ndrew

I am at a point where I can't change the material by either adjusting the default setting(s) or by using the "default" spraycan. No idea how to troubleshoot this. Below is what I get when I have Color - Charcoal assigned to all components for base cabinets except hardware.

Also - if there isn't, there should be a way to change all identical colors in a default, so that if I'm using white and change to charcoal, I don't have to change it in 15 locations for all cabinets... is there a way to do this for all cabinets or cabinet types within a room?

thanks

image.thumb.png.0f8baa9e7844b0e73bb8520fa21e8cda.png

41 minutes ago, solver said:

You should attach the plan file.

Are you saying you cannot make the doors and drawers a different color?

Hi Eric-

No, I'm saying I can't do it by changing default materials & then  by using the spray can in Default mode. (And then, naturally, by changing the defaults.)

I figured I could revert to default & assign color/materials that way. But the spraycan isn't returning materials to Default when selected.

I can change the colors to other colors by choosing a color with the spraycan, however, but obviously spraying 100 different pieces for a "simple" change is a non-starter... file is 36 megs, so I can't upload in native format. Zip attached.

kitchen-test.plan.zip

Ok - watched it - thanks so much.

Yeah, looks like you tried some of the same stuff I did; why there are two places for default material definitions is something to which I haven't found an explanation; further, the two don't match up. That said, getting to the defaults through the cabinet types themselves opens up more options.

And again... might not be an issue if I could revert materials to default with the spray can, but I can't seem to do that. I may try restarting again to see what happens.

Hi Eric & thanks again-

Turns out that the wrench defaults override the cabinet-specific defaults; therefore, if I pick "Midnight" as a general default for cabinets, using the spraycan set to default will revert the cabinets to "Midnight" even if we have a different color chosen as a default through the Cabinet-specific selections. 

So... again, using the spraycan reverts defaults to the "Main Wrench Defaults", which are less specific but override the more granular object "defaults", which, obviously, are not actually defaults.

By the way - what screen capture software are you using? Video/sound quality is great.