Importing symbols - an experiment

Kristine

I use Home Designer (10) predominately for interior design/decoration so models (furniture and accessories) are really important to me. I recently found a fantastic bank of models in the 3D Warehouse perfectly suited to my personal style (modern country). I was so excited to have the ability to use these rather unique 3D symbols to better portray my visions for certain spaces. Problem is; I find many of them don't render correctly after importation :( Generally, the textures get all muddled up and sometimes certain faces even appear to be flattened. This is frustrating not only because it's just plain deflating though also because it's time consuming - having to download and import each model to check how it renders.

After asking questions in the SketchUp forum and playing around with the problem models myself in SketchUp, I believe it may be a rendering issue with Home Designer itself?

I'm just wondering if anyone might be so kind as to take a second to import one of the 'problem models' to check how it renders for them.

Here is a link to the general collection:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/user.html?id=1237224400926261222446661

And here are some of the models I've personally experiences issues with:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=d2a2ea8d719702347bcb070cc655f13a

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=b77aa824fcdb6efd4b3c42e318f3affc

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=a9bcee005226c6bb4b3c42e318f3affc

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=37a78dcb2ca7ec394b3c42e318f3affc

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=43a754fc75f03be414038d588fd1342f

I guess I'm just curious as to whether it's a universal problem and also if it's something that can be easily resolved with some SketchUp tweaking or by simply upgrading my version of Home Designer. Ideally I would LOVE the ability to simply download, import and use these symbols just as they appear in the 3D Warehouse.

Thank you so much.

Kristine

Home Designer 10

I tried a few ways but it wants me to go to the app store.  Have a look through the answers to other peoples  questions and answers to this type of question David  and Mick (Kbird) gave me some good answers to importing people last month. When they see your question they will most definitely be able to assist you .. good luck sorry I was unable to help. However I think you are right and need to import them into sketchup first as it states  they are to be saved as sketchup.

In each version there are various "software titles" (ie: Pro, Architectural, Suite, Interiors, Essentials, or Deck and Lawn Designer), Which one do you, in fact have?

Symbols at 3D Warehouse are free (no cost in terms of money) but the quality of these symbols is a wild variable (3D warehouse has no "Quality Control" like the symbols you can get from Chief Architect and Home Designer". I often just have to discard a symbol because it is poorly made. Your only alternative is to download and learn Sketch Up so symbols you like can then be edited or repaired, you can even make your own but it takes time to really learn Sketch Up,

My advice is to try a symbol and if you get lousy results, try another one, until you find one that serves your purpose. You can really learn Sketch Up or just discard "flat-tires" as you find them.

Most users here have version 2015 and 2014, version 10 is "old", I have those version 10 titles but I need to know which one you have so when I import the sketch up symbols you mention above, I will then be able to duplicate your results

DJP

Well at least in V10 you can see a texture ..in V15 it strips the textures for some reason on importing ....can't explain that ,perhaps tech.support would help a user if they had '15 sort it out.

However in V10 after converting the V8 .skp to V7 in Sketchup , I imported each of the 5 you listed and they import fine without the errors above like in '15 but on 1st looking at them in 3D they appeared "cartoonish" to me ( or flatish) too ,which lead me to find this company is "cheating" in that, the front of each cabinet is actually a texture ,(pic), unlike HD Cabinets which have real 3D editable faces and handles etc. if you look closely you can see the texture is the wrong size as HD has imported it at its default 20x20 setting, so with the material definition tool you maybe able to resize the texture and have it look right again ,you may also need to adjust the origin of the texture to get it to line up with the cabinet again by moving it up/down/left/right etc. If you change the front's texture to another material you will lose the handles as they are a pic not a real 3D handle.

To be honest I think if you read up on the cabinet tools in HD you can pretty much make anything of these items .....easier in Pro ? since there maybe more Tools available?.

This happens in '15

post-25-0-78256400-1421767184_thumb.jpg

Cartoonish look

post-25-0-92733000-1421767171_thumb.jpg

Front texture is too small

post-25-0-97640800-1421767199_thumb.jpgpost-25-0-85404200-1421767211_thumb.jpg

PS David is Correct , many answers here depend on the specific title and version you are using ,as there are 5 titles in every yearly release all with different features and abilities , we know you have a 10 series title as I do but what title?    Put your Title and year/version in your Profile sig ..once.... and nobody needs to ask again....

A lot of symbols available at 3D warehouse are merely simple boxes with a photoshop, custom texture painted across its 3D  faces, these do not translate well to Chief Architect and Home Designer titles because the texture which communicates the detail, is lost in the import. High quality symbols are modeled with the detail built into the symbol and can have any material applied to their surfaces thereafter, the one you picked is problematic for that same reason (a short-cut to a result and in this case a poor result). Were I you, I would just skip it and try another symbol and once you find a good one, just make or apply your own material to its surfaces, it is a good skill to develop.

DJP

its true the Face looks okay in sketchup  but the sides ,especially where the distressed paint is doesn't look good in SU either.

HD's cabinet tools are pretty powerful , once you learn your way around  the tabs and the settings , and the Manual and KB Articles will help with that.

I think you just got unlucky that that company is taking the easy way out .....perhaps you should contact them ?

M.

I'm not very skilled at using sketchup, but I downloaded the 1st object on your list and began experimenting.

The 1st thing I did was to import and save the distressed texture (used on the cabinet) to HDA.

Then I imported the cabinet to HDA, and re-applied the newly saved texture.  Using the rainbow tool, I set it to 'stretch to fit'.

The cabinet on the left is the result.  The handles appear to be photos applied?

Then I created the cabinet on the right using a kitchen cabinet (base cabinet with drawers), and changed the texture to the saved sketchup material.

Next, (after not finding similiar handles in the HDA library),  I re-opened the sketchup object (in sketchup), recolored the handles, and saved them as a new sketchup object.

Then I imported the handle into HDA and placed it on my new cabinet. I copied/pasted the other 7 handles.

So, my advice is....keep experimenting.

post-63-0-55987400-1421951250_thumb.jpg

Times is money. Build your own library of cabinets within home designer. When you play with this program you can get some very amazing cabinets. Then add them to your user folder in the library.  I have even made unusual coffee tables and lamps on stands. The only thing I have not been able to group and keep are unusual windows.

Great results Jo_Ann. Thanks so much for sharing. Okay, stupid question, where did you find the texture? Is it saved as an exportable image somewhere in SketchUp? Also, I noticed you have added feet to your cabinet. I have been unable to do this (except for manually). Am I missing something or is this simply the case with my version of HD?

Robyn, I have been playing around with creating custom cabinets and have learned you can do some cool stuff. Only thing is, I don't think I can groups objects in my version of HD. I've watched the video though can't find the 'Architectural Block' symbol anywhere and whenever I simply select and try to save multiple items to the library it just adds them individually, not as a collective.

Might be time for an upgrade to HD Pro.

Kristine,

With your object open in sketchup, go up to the toolbar and choose window>materials  (a window will open showing materials).

Click on the little house and choose 'in model'.

Right click the material...choose 'export texture image'.  It will save a jpeg material to the location of your choosing.

The feet were added manually (find them in the 'millwork' category in the library.  You should also delete the cabinet 'toekick', and raise the cabinet at least 4" off the floor.

NOTE: You are using the same version of HDA as I am.  Read page 305 of the reference manual, pertaining to 'architectural blocks'.

Nice workaround Jo ...as usual ..... but is it just me or do these models look cartoonish to everyone ? I think yours looks better Jo ,maybe just the texture isn't that good but lots of good texture sites out there Kris like these. 

http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.php

http://3d-diva.davidmichaeldesigns.com/

you could export your model Jo and let Kris try it since you are using the same version....

M.

Thanks Jo. Got the SketchUp texture thing worked out. Thanks for confirming cabinet feet do need to be added manually - thought that must be the case. I did read up on grouping objects though still can not see/find the 'make architectural block' icon anywhere? I have also created a few dining sets (complete with place settings) I'd really like to 'block' and save, though again, can not work out how to achieve it.

I agree Mick that the textures are quite poor quality (blurry/too low res) and appear very fake. I was actually checking out some free texture sites (including the two you mentioned!) before you posted your response. I do a bit of graphic design work (for myself) so am across this kind of thing. Regarding textures; there is no way to manually re-position them, is there? Or is this available in more recent versions? It's just that no matter how I scale/rotate certain textures (particularly obviously 'not seamless' ones) they seem to tile at a certain point, usually mid-way through an object, which makes the join very obvious.

Yep when you use the material definition tool on the Texture tab you can play with the textures size and for positioning it's origin , it a bit of a pain as you need to close the window for the setting to apply and then reopen till you get it right. Not sure if that is fixd in the newer versions ? but you should download the 2015 trial and play with it but wait perhaps to up grade , I saw today X7 will come out in March and typically the HD titles are released in May , think it was May 30 last year 2015 came out.

around page 600 of the manual they start discussing the "Origin"

You can group select many objects  ( for example, windows), enabling them to be moved as one unit, as a temporary block.

But...not all objects can be saved as a block (for example, windows).  HDA 10 Reference manual page 305-306 lists blockable items.

Blocks can be saved to the user library.

The block icon is a purple/blue cube that appears on the left side tool bar.  This tool bar only appears when an item has been selected.

The block cube only appears when items have been 'group' selected.

You can select textures with the rainbow icon, and then change their X/Y values.  This can greatly improve the way that some textures look, but it's sure not a cure-all fix.

Thanks for all the advice. Have made some progress with 'architectural blocks' (at least now I can see the icon in some instances) though I still can not group my dining setting for some reason - the icon just doesn't become visible when I group select my table and chairs? Have had success grouping cabinets (inclusive of accessories) though.

Here is the dining setting I'm attempting to block for possible use in future plans. Any ideas why I can't do it? I had no issues blocking the green cabinet complete with all the accessories inside.

As an aside, I know getting lighting right takes time and skill though is there a way to generate a more natural daylight feel? Final views always seem quite dark and shadow laden, as if they are taken at night with all the lights on, not during the day. I generally have to import them into Photoshop to lighten them up. I have toggled lighting and shadows on/off, added lights, deducted lights. Seems to make little difference in terms of naturality.

Cheers.

post-1602-0-83596000-1422139157_thumb.jpg

Some items just are not group-able or Block-able in that case it is better to copy/paste them into a new plan and save it as say "Dining Set" then when you need it, open the plan again and copy/paste into the new Plan you are working on.  

Are you Shift-selecting to group items ?  ( ie hold shift to select multiple objects)

The green cabinet is likely "seen" as a cabinet and they are blockable

I thought Tables and Chairs could be too?

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00191/260/Home-Designer/Architectural-Blocks/Creating-an-Architectural-Block.html

Jo_Ann does a nice job of lighting , perhaps if you post your plan she will have a look for you , She has HDA 10 too so should work. you can post files upto 25mb each here. if they are too big try zipping it , if you don't want to delete stuff to get the size down then a GoogleDrive/OneDrive/Dropbox link is the next best thing.

M.

If your camera view is taken from outside a room  (that includes invisible wall rooms), then that room will not be lighted...UNLESS...you have edited the default setting>render quality>use enhanced lighting.   Then add a light, and that room will be lit  (even if the camera is outside of the room).

Also, you can open the dialog box for the added light,  and experiment with the color of the light to get different results.

A little off topic but the renders shown in this thread prompted me to pose the question.

What is the best combination of tools/utilities to get from HDP 15 to s photo realistic render?  I have tried exporting a 3D view to an STL file and then import into Blender with no luck.  Joann clearly has it mastered so I am curious how to get there.

Thanks,

Rob

STL is for 3D Printers so you can "Print" your House....if you can find a converter to .3DS or .OBJ perhaps you can use it in Blender.  (or use Chief)

Pro    (or any HD title )   can not export 3d Models only import them , at least I don't think that changed in the newer versions...

In HD you need to play with lighting and materials reflective properties and their emmisiveness etc to get it right , and you are right Jo_Ann and Kristine appear to have Mastered it. Perhaps there is some Photoshopping done on the Jpegs? , I am not sure....

M