Fun with Roofs

Shanks343

I'm sure this is an easy one:  I'm trying to create a gable roof where the peak is off-set to one side, but the pitch is the same on both sides. I recognize that the wall on the side with the shorter span will have to be taller, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Help?

Home Designer Suite 2021. Thanks for the advice about adding it to my signature. I've now done that :)

Yes, I've been searching through HELP and the videos on YouTube. Lots of good info out there. Again, I'm sure the solution is simple. I just haven't found it yet ;)

Roofs build over rooms, so you need to create rooms with different ceiling heights (ceiling height controls wall height).

Any existing walls may be in the way, so suggest you remove them and just focus on the roof. Once it's perfect, turn off auto rebuild roofs, remove temporary walls and draw in what's really there.

The section in question is over a single room, and I did try that:  I put an invisible wall in the middle and changed the ceiling height of one of the rooms. What it did is illustrated in the attached screenshot:  Instead of a single gable, it created one for each "room" at one end, but only that end. As you can see, the other end has the single gable, offset like I wanted. 

The specs on both walls is the same, so I'm not sure why it worked on one end and not the other.

double gable.jpg

This is what you want?

ht1.thumb.png.da7b9cf33eea0357df9b8699356808a0.png

Try turning off the roof on this side of the missing gable and see if it builds correctly.

Is the remainder of the roof correct?

You can attach the plan file (close Suite first) but someone will need to know what is correct.

Yes, that is what I'm trying to achieve :)   The rest of the roof is correct (I fixed the pitch of that center section so it now matches the others ... 6 in 12 instead of 8 in 12).

Not sure how to "turn off the roof" on that side.  Is something I do with the wall?

Got it!

I moved my invisible wall closer to the center of the structure, and for some reason it now builds correctly even with the other roof in place. Thanks for your help :)

While I have you on the line:  Any thoughts on how to make the red siding appear on the outside of those gable walls?  They are technically interior walls, except, of course, parts of them are visible on the outside :P

No Roof2.jpg