Help designing a 20x40 office/house

RimaZK

I would like some help in drawing out the roof and ceiling on Home Designer, especially for the costing calculations of materials, since we are going to be our own contractor.  I have dabbled in Home Designer over the years, mostly to draw out daydream floor plans, which I can do reasonably well.  I have never been able to get the concept of how a house goes up in 3D, nor how to make Home Designer Pro draw it out.  We will be building a fairly simple 20x40 office/house soon.  I'd be happy to pay consultation fees, but the deal also includes teaching me how to be able to do it the next time myself.

7 minutes ago, RimaZK said:

never been able to get the concept of how a house goes up in 3D

What don't you understand?

Once you have a plan, the 3D part is one click away.

For help, see the Chief YouTube channel linked above. Look for the hour long Home Designer webinars which go over the process start to finish.

What's not to understand?  I managed to make a roof but the posts on the porch are hanging in mid air..........so I have to change the pitch of just one side of the roof.....but how does that connect to the........just details.

OK, so I made a second floor, but I can't figure out how to view the first floor.  All I can see is the second floor.

Also, as good as those teaching videos are, I find them really difficult to learn from.  These videos are extremely tedious for a beginner.  Here go to this button and then it shows this and then you go to that button and then it shows this.  Well, I'm still trying to find the first button on my own software.  By then the video is talking about something else.  If you stop start the video, you still get lost because you have to rewind for a bit to get back to where you were.  These videos are OK if you are looking for one little thing and already know a lot of the basics.

19 minutes ago, RimaZK said:

OK, so I made a second floor, but I can't figure out how to view the first floor.  All I can see is the second floor.

It's really helpful to have a screen capture to look at so we see what you see.

Are you in plan view or a camera view? Inside the house or outside?

Do you have a drawing or sketch of the house you want to model?

One of the regulars here, David Potter offers consulting and teaching services.

David Jefferson Potter
Chief Architect® Teacher, Tutor, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
Chief Premier 7-X12, Home Designer All Titles
Win10 Pro x64 & XP Pro x32 500 GB Samsung SSD
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, 
Gigabyte GV-N1080 IX-8GD
3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-6929
Office Phone:512-518-3161 (No Texts Please) Mobile Phone (Text Only Please) 512-230-8995 About my tutoring service
Main E mail: c16467@gmail.com
Web Site:http://djpdesigns.com /My You Tube Channel/ Follow me on Facebook /My Sketchfab site/My Houzz Page