Home Designer 2020 Vs 2021

BillPagano

This sort of thing is not a "bug", rather it underlines that fact and importance of looking at and being responsible for one's settings and one's own produce. Merely by opening a old plan in a newer version will not, just by that act change the settings that are in a plan. Software does only what it is told by YOU and no one else. If something is found wrong, then it is some decision that you made wrongly or mistakenly. Software is just a complex tool that does what you tell it to or forget to tell it or wrongly tell it. New users often think that the software seems to have intelligence or perhaps an attitude. It has none of those things, it just and only does what you tell it to do, right or wrong. So if you find something askew you just set it right and move on.

DJP 

Hey Eric

I got the same result as you did when I opened up a old plan in Pro2021 I also opened up Pro2020 an the footer was centered when I drew a foundation wall.

Hey Keith I found the same thing I just don't know if this is a bug or me doing some wrong.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

Yeah, it's been that way from the time I upgraded. I use a default 20 x 12 footing in my plans and haven't gone to a 10". Don't know if that is centered, though one would think it would use the same "formula" as when you change the size of a window which keeps the center. 

Guys Here is the reply I got from CA support

Bill 

Hello Bill,

Thank you for contacting Chief Architect Technical Support.

It does appear that our Home Designer 2020 templates did have the footings centered, while footings in our 2021 templates are offset. Unfortunately, Home Designer Pro does not have the control over the positioning of footings for Foundation Walls, this control would only be available in our Chief Architect versions.

Grant

Chief Architect Technical Support

Hey Guys

Here is the updated reply I got from support looks like they have a work around.

Grant S
Thursday, Jan 14, 2021 - 11:51 AM PST
Bill,

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to give you a solid answer on when that fix might happen. However, there is something we can do in the meantime by using the old Default Style template from 2020. Here are the steps to do so:

○ Open Home Designer Pro 2021 to a New Plan.

○ Select the Edit menu > Preferences (Home Designer > Preferences if you're on a Mac).

○ In the Preferences dialog, select the Reset Options panel.

○ In the Reset Options panel, select the Reset Migration button. Click Yes on the first dialog that appears, and OK on the second dialog that appears.

○ Close Home Designer Pro 2021 and then relaunch it.

○ Upon starting up Home Designer Pro again, you should be presented with a Migrate Content and Settings dialog. Here we can specify what content we want to migrate from previous versions. In this case, we're migrating from 2020 and we'll only want to migrate the Templates.

○ In the Migrate Content Settings dialog, be sure Templates is the only option checked under "Migrate Settings From Home Designer Pro 2020". Click OK to confirm the changes.

○ After the migration is complete, select New Plan from the startup screen and see if Foundation Walls come in with a centered footing.