Support for Mac M1 ARM

henrykay

I'm currently planning to upgrade my Mac, and am thinking about getting one with the new M1 ARM processor.  I note from your system requirements that Mac's with M1 processors are not supported.  Are there any future plans to provide a version which is compatible with M1 Mac's?

Thank you for the question.  Yes, we are looking at the Mac M1 processor for future compatibility.  For running graphics intensive programs such as Home Designer, we would still recommend a Mac computer with a discrete graphics card such as an AMD Radeon rather than the integrated graphics setup that come with the current M1 processor.

I hope this helps.  Feel free to reach out to us directly if you have any questions at 208-292-3400.

Kind regards,

Derek Pedersen

Chief Architect Software

But, does HD run in Rosetta 2 on the new M1 Macs?  I just need occasional access and minor editing.  Since HD runs on integrated Intel Graphics (however slow) I would assume it would work under Rosetta 2.  Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Scott Buchanan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It is really not OK to delay M1 support. In a year or so all Macs will be M1 or some derivative. You should be letting the early adopters test native M1 support out before your entire base has made the switch. I've been using it for a while on an M1 MacBook Pro and it works pretty well under rosetta, but the physical rendering is completely broken. All of the other modes seem to be fine. Still, Rosetta can't be the long term solution. Native support isn't that difficult.

• 2 months later...

FYI - looks like with the Big Sur 11.4 update, physically-based rendering is now working on the M1 Macs. This had been the only feature I'd found not fully functional. The folks over at ChiefTalk alerted me to this and they weren't even running the newly released X13 which reportedly supports M1 chips per the Chief Architect forum moderator.  I'm using HD Pro 2021 (X12) so hopefully others here will have similar success even if not yet officially supported by CA.

• 6 months later...
On 7/2/2021 at 2:03 AM, benriver said:

FYI - looks like with the Big Sur 11.4 update, physically-based rendering is now working on the M1 Macs. This had been the only feature I'd found not fully functional. The folks over at ChiefTalk alerted me to this and they weren't even running the newly released X13 which reportedly supports M1 chips per the Chief Architect forum moderator.  I'm using HD Pro 2021 (X12) so hopefully others here will have similar success even if not yet officially supported by CA.

@benriver

Just wanted to see if you had any further feedback on your use of HD Pro 2021 on the M1 chip and the physical camera render views?

Cheers

Brent