Using Steel I-Beams between 1st and 2nd floor

ChrisMe

Thanks Keith,

I saw that in a tutorial and I did change those settings.

I can draw in the beams but they don't sit on top of the concrete wall without me manually moving them up and the consequence of that is the floor joists for the next level wants to sit on the concrete walls and not on the beams I put in. I can't figure out how to make the beams sit on top of the concrete below and have the floor above sit on top of the beams.

It looks like a small enough plan to maybe start over. Without knowing what it's supposed to look like, it's hard to accurately provide a solution. I am wondering if the walls on floor 1 are supposed to be concrete, or did you use a foundation wall to build them? If so, that could be why the beam is mixed in with the floor joists.

Don't know what you were doing wrong, but here is what I did.

Inserted a floor under your 2nd floor and defined a room on it using invisible walls. Changed the Floor Above value to lower the 3rd floor down so it's sitting on the beams.

I did this mostly to produce the image so everyone understood what you wanted.

I was really thinking that the beams would go on this new blank floor, but it seems they look OK as is without moving them.

I would start over using a similar approach, and your concrete walls are marked as Foundation walls and probably should not be.

You need to consider the final result too because decisions are additive. Looking at a problem in isolation, you might solve it, but you solution may effect something else.

Thanks for the video. I'll see if I can reproduce that on my end.

The second floor wall system will cover the beams and lap over the concrete lower floor walls.

I expect the ceiling on the lower floor will be the floor above for an industrial look. We can always go in and frame in something later if they want a smooth ceiling.