Double Shed Roof Help... Plus Dormer

aszyszkowski

Hello all,

I am hoping you fine people can help an amateur home designer out.

My lovely wife and I have purchased a home and I picked up this software (Home Designer Pro - monthly sub) to help us out.

Unfortunately I am running into some issues.

This home has 2 shed style roof planes heading toward each other like a gabled roof but split leveled.  The floor is not.  Pitch is likely 6-12".

It has a room to one side where the slope of the roof cuts into it which is currently a large storage space we'd like to plan a bath/closet in and on the other a similar situation which is currently unfinished.  The main room is open from ground to roof and vaulted and the attic is a central portion, which is part of the higher "shed" section.  I could be making little sense.  attached are a diagram I drew up, my first attempt (V1) which visually is there but I know has a lot of technical issues - noticeable when I wanted to add a dormer to the future bathroom space (explained in diagram).

Also attached is my next attempt where I started over trying to take what I learned to date and execute a cleaner, more properly designed plan.

So I need help creating the roof(s) properly, one.  Two, I would like to make that dormer (preferably mostly glass - as illustrated in my attached diagram and notes).  I wonder for the dormer, if I need to create a 3rd "half' floor on the left side of the house to make this work properly.  The dormer would Ideally be flush to the left wall.

I am not a pro nor seeking to be.  I just want us to be able to properly plan and be able to communicate our ideas.  Plus we wish to ad a 2 car garage with an studio apartment/workspace and understanding this would help there to.  I am simply looking to learn what I can and am appreciative of anyones help and time.

V1 was over the upload limit so here's a google drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l_gtU5epuVBuwTCiXe67qaj3xg46NVWj/view

House Plans.jpg

House Remodel Ideas V2.plan

Read the article I indicated, found in the "Build Roof Dialog - Roof Styles - Shed roof. You set the ceiling heights, one in the first floor wall and the second one in the second floor wall as per your cross section image that you posted. Then the rest is 3D geometry. You can build this roof by presetting and then build "automatically" or manually in HD Pro. Read the indicated article for pre-setting the walls - roof tab settings or just manually draw them.

DJP

roofdialog.jpg

I thought I had supplied that information in my initial post.

The version I am using Is Home Designer Pro - Mostly Subscription.

On 1/4/2021 at 12:24 AM, DavidJPotter said:

Read the article I indicated, found in the "Build Roof Dialog - Roof Styles - Shed roof. You set the ceiling heights, one in the first floor wall and the second one in the second floor wall as per your cross section image that you posted. Then the rest is 3D geometry. You can build this roof by presetting and then build "automatically" or manually in HD Pro. Read the indicated article for pre-setting the walls - roof tab settings or just manually draw them.

DJP

roofdialog.jpg

As for this I am not sure this necessarily applies to my project.  There is no roof plane that that would meet at a high shed wall on the first floor.  The home is 2 stories with an attic.

I have been reviewing all the roofing videos (the beginner and advance, the dormer ones (which indicate a added half floor design), etc) and I' am still at a loss.

--------

Project files

V1 was over the upload limit so here's a google drive link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l_gtU5epuVBuwTCiXe67qaj3xg46NVWj/view

House Plans-01SM.jpg

House Remodel Ideas V2.plan