Cathedral roof with exterior siding on the interior

ShaneJ

Happy New Year.

I've got an issue where the siding under the cathedral ceiling is using the exterior siding of the 2nd level on the inside of the 1st level. I've got a split level on the 1st level, where the garage is 24" below the main floor, and the 2nd level is completely above the garage. The main level is L shaped around the garage. If I have a ceiling then the siding renders fine (including the wall space above the shelves), but if I switch to no ceiling for a cathedral, then the siding goes all wonky. I've tried deleting the roof and rebuilding, but to no avail. The issue happens above the bookshelves in the living room area. I've got a wall break where the interior LR wall meets the exterior wall at the right front corner of the LR. 

Great room ceiling height is 9', garage ceiling height is 9', so the 2nd level and the main floor share walls, as the 2nd level floor is lower than the ceiling of the main level. Slab floor on main level.

So, any help on sorting out the siding in the living room would be great.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Jimerfield Lvl1 12-28-20.pdf

Jimerfield Lvl2 12-28-20.pdf

living room siding issue.jpg

Suite is limited in what you can do to fix this, and the fix depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Simplest is to have 2 plans, one for interior views and one for exterior.

You could change the wall to and interior wall, then manually add a layer on the exterior using shapes from the library to make it look correct

Bummer, that's a pretty tedious and wonky "fix" to what presents itself more as a bug than a limitation. And the "fix" is weak because it adds a layer to wall that shows in the 3D rendering. If they provide the cathedral feature they should not then break the wall siding feature. One feature should not break another, that's a bug not a limitation. IMHO.

14 hours ago, ShaneJ said:

Bummer, that's a pretty tedious and wonky "fix" to what presents itself more as a bug than a limitation. And the "fix" is weak because it adds a layer to wall that shows in the 3D rendering. If they provide the cathedral feature they should not then break the wall siding feature. One feature should not break another, that's a bug not a limitation. IMHO.

The "Fix" or solution is to buy or upgrade to either Architectural or HD Pro that have greater abilities than what you paid for by buying Suite. One cannot expect $99 dollar software to solve problems like Architectural @  $200 or  Home Designer Pro @ $495. Ether of those software titles have built in abilities that Suite does not making a situation such as yours easy to handle. You get what you choose to pay for, always.

DJP

4 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

The "Fix" or solution is to buy or upgrade to either Architectural or HD Pro that have greater abilities than what you paid for by buying Suite. One cannot expect $99 dollar software to solve problems like Architectural @  $200 or  Home Designer Pro @ $495. Ether of those software titles have built in abilities that Suite does not making a situation such as yours easy to handle. You get what you choose to pay for, always.

DJP

Clearly we have different opinions on how a program should function, regardless of the price. IMO, if one feature breaks another then it's a bug, not a legitimate version limitation. In this case the bug is probably created to promote an upgrade. Sleezy business dealings if you ask me. 

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with an addition I am designing onto the rear of the existing structure.  However, I have HD Pro 2021.  Could you point me to the instructions on how to remove the exterior siding from the wall when I use a cathedral ceiling?

Thanks.

On 1/2/2021 at 10:07 AM, DavidJPotter said:

DJP

I must have made a mistake somewhere in the creation of the plan.  I followed the instructions and the siding from the exterior still shows in the addition when I use a cathedral ceiling.

I'm going back to the beginning and take it step by step creating the originals structure and then adding the addition.