ROOF QUESTION

AnneWertheim

I just started using Home Designer Pro 2021. I had been using Home Designer Suite for a while and I keep on running into roof issues. I was hoping HD Pro would make things a little easier, but as a lay person, I am still struggling to figure roofs out. I am attaching a screenshot of the house I'd like to built. It will be a two story house. The second floor will be a loft space, leaving the first floor with high ceilings in the front part.

What settings do I need to use the have the left and right lower roof panes correctly attached to the walls? As you can see on the screenshot, there is a gap between wall and roof.

Thanks for any input and help!

I don't know if it matters, but I am working on a Mac.

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 7.52.40 AM.png

It's helpful to use Vector View when taking a screen capture as it shows details much better than standard view.

Walls normally fill in automatically, and it's not obvious from your images what the problem is.

If you will attach the plan file -- close Pro first, I'll take a look.

Oops - that was an easy fix. I should have figured that one out on my own. Thank you!

I have another question though. I have spent hours trying to figure out how to have the different roof planes extend over the deck of the house. I'd like to have the gable roof continue over the deck, as well as the two side roof planes and have the railings go up to the three roof planes. I have tried invisible walls for the second floor and tried breaking up the front railing to create the different heights. Every time I attempt to rebuild the roof, things go crazy. 

Any thoughts on this one?

Roofs are soooo complex and difficult to figure out.

GableRoof_2shedRoofs_36x27.plan

Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 7.53.51 AM.png

3 hours ago, AnneWertheim said:

I'd like to have the gable roof continue over the deck, as well as the two side roof planes and have the railings go up to the three roof planes.

I'm not clear on what you are wanting, but with Pro, you have manual roof planes, so learn and use them to create the roof.

If you can post a drawing showing your desired roof, someone might be able to help with doing it automatically.

Thanks! I kind of figured it out. It seems in Home Designer it's easiest to set all the walls up with the right roof attributes, then create it and not touch the roof after that. 

Everytime I I do a change to a wall though, after the roof already has been built, it seems things don't rebuilt the way I thought I had set it up -even if I delete the roof first and rebuilt again, this happens.