How to create an upward swinging shutter

ChrisO

Go to solution Solved by DavidJPotter,

This shutter is a single slab of lightweight screen (e.g. bamboo mat or plywood sheet) hinged at the top so that it swings upward and is supported above the window. You've probably seen something similar on a kiosk at a food court. There might be a menu displayed on the underside so that customers can look up and see what is for sale.

So, it's a hatchway window without glass that is closed by swinging the shutter down to the vertical hanging position.

How do I make it?

• Like 1

• Solution

I think your best bet (provided you have Architectural or HD Pro) is to create the shutters from sloped soffits: one at an angle to emulate the shutter and little skinny ones to emulate what holds them open against gravity. I did look for existing symbols at the Home Designer website and then at 3D Warehouse first. I do have an old symbol I bought, years ago that might work, you are welcome to give it a try.

DJP

Bahama Shutter.calibz

On 12/13/2020 at 9:22 PM, DavidJPotter said:

I think your best bet (provided you have Architectural or HD Pro) is to create the shutters from sloped soffits: one at an angle to emulate the shutter and little skinny ones to emulate what holds them open against gravity. I did look for existing symbols at the Home Designer website and then at 3D Warehouse first. I do have an old symbol I bought, years ago that might work, you are welcome to give it a try.

DJP

Bahama Shutter.calibz

That shutter object is useful. Thanks.

I couldn't work out how to use the soffit.  One problem is that the roof will be a saltbox style. That is created by adding a room above the front half ground floor, and that means any roofing hacks are going to seen above the ground floor.

If you have never sloped a soffit, the above advice may seem confusing but soffits can be ordered in Architectural and HD Pro (not Suite) to have a slanted shape (look at the soffit dialog box-General Tab - Sloped soffit). When checked it gives you two input boxes to establish the soffit's bottom height and top height (used to vary the angle of slope). There is also a "Follow Roof" check box for creating vaulted under roof beams. Soffits are quite versatile for simple custom 3D objects. Take a look. one sloped soffit could look like a simple bracket and another one stretched out could emulate a shutter. That was all I was suggesting.

DJP

• 5 months later...
On 12/13/2020 at 9:22 PM, DavidJPotter said:

DJP

Bahama Shutter.calibz

The "Bahama Shutter" works well enough.  It's good.

Home Designer Architectural 2021

• 5 months later...

I tried different way to do it and the best result I found is to use a roof plane because you can have square edge, with the soffit, you can only have a plumb edge which dont look real. Then finding the right material or color for the surface is really a problem I used some wall siding but it does'nt look like a louvered panel at all. Bahama shutters are very popular in Florida, they are mostly decorative and made of light aluminum louvered just like a louvered door. If I could only take a door and tilt it, it would be so simple and perfect.

• 1 year later...