Snap to Active CAD Point

BrewerDesign

Thanks Eric, as usually I checked all the resources.  I can't find anything more definitive than "Check Snap to Active CAD Point to snap the view you are sending to layout to the active CAD Point."  As close as I can determine, that means place a point on the object you are sending then place a point on the layout sheet and they should match(?).  I've tried this many times with no luck.

The User's Guide and Reference Manual have only similar statements. I've searched youtube with no luck, anyone know of a video on this subject?.

Thanks.

I know of no documentation other than what's in Help. I've never seen this option used, or even asked about.

I believe there is no point to point functionality, you place a point in Layout and the center of the Layout Box left edge will snap to the point.

• 10 months later...

@BrewerDesign

Did you ever figure this out. I assumed it would position the middle of what you send, to a CAD point on the layout sheet. but it does not look to be the case

So far, I have not been able to discern any correlation between the position in the layout and the CAD point on the layout. I also cannot find a description of the "Active CAD point" in the manual

On 12/8/2020 at 10:56 PM, solver said:

you place a point in Layout and the center of the Layout Box left edge will snap to the point

The above?

I tried a few different ways. temp CAD point, permanent CAD point. selecting the point to make it "Active", nothing that looks like it correlates to a CAD point. I will send to CA if I do not hear back from brewsterDesign, as I did not really find anything else on the matter. Did you actually get the left edge (middle) of the layout box to snap to a CAD point?

image.thumb.png.b062463d119e4dfcad468464f13b989a.png

@solver

so looks like plan view works, but I cannot get it to work from ortho(image), plot lines work. perspective cameras(image) ( plot lines not available as an option) do not work. below is where it placed an ortho image, above is where it placed a perspective image. Floor camera images also do not work. Other interesting tidbits. it looks to draw a square around whatever is on the SPV  and sends that (just noticed that now), true whether the snap to active CAD point is on or off. Interesting that it only works for temporary CAD points. I could see this being quite useful for aligning plans with seperate SPVs on the same floor. I have elevation cameras off from the main  plan area. I could then put a CAD Point off the layout page. Although I noticed the CAD point is on every single layout point, so a little less useful as I typically align elevations to a different point, same with a perspective camera. Where I find the normal send to layout a bit tricky is when the scale changes, so I suppose one could send the one SPV, get it all good, set the temp marker then do all the other SPVs. then move to elevations.

But still does not work for images, unless you got it to work somehow? The reason I use images is to reduce the PDF file size, especially floor cameras.

image.thumb.png.f7f6672312f4c1eb5e8245fc68642c2b.png

So what is the benefit of using an allocated point? The elevations cannot be manipulated in the layout other than by guesswork or clever eye judgement- as none of the snap points are available from my use? (or that help) Conventional orthographic projection and good practice drafting (here) provides for elevations and sections to be aligned with corresponding floor levels (or similar);  Having a midpoint of an image or elevation sent to layout aligned doesn't really cut it - does it? Do you guys not work similarly with your drawings?

This drawing (attached) I aligned the views by guesswork (by eye) and is in no way accurately represented between each view - which it should be. ( IMO)

Done in Home designer Pro - not Chief Architect. (BTW)

Jeff.Stevens_Kitchen2019_Final_191022.pdf

51 minutes ago, Robborito said:

This drawing (attached) I aligned the views by guesswork (by eye)

Not sure what you want to align, but you can center, and use Point to Point move. If you are sending as Plot Lines, Point to Point will pick up snaps.

If you are having a problem, or not sure how to do something, start a new thread and ask.

On 10/31/2021 at 7:35 PM, Robborito said:

So what is the benefit of using an allocated point?

it would be for those of us who normally put one thing per page. In the attached I have the same plan with 5 different views. And you can tell they do not all align, because I was too lazy to try and do so. (some people put a point on the layout and then send each SPV to layout and then align with the point). But  with a CAD point on the layout that I can snap the SPV to when sending to layout, it would guarantee it lands in the same position everytime, because on the outer most left part of my plan, I have the elevation camera which does not move. So I could set up the marker once (getting it where I wanted), and then every SPV I send to layout would land perfectly

using the CAD marker snap to features with elevations would be trickier to manage because elevations usually contain the terrain as ground level, and I adjust the terrain width to make the ortho prettier.

In your case with multiple elevations on one page, I do not see a use case

marker sample.pdf

• 4 weeks later...