Stairs over two different rooms

sfo1ckh

I did a profile, should show up??   But using Home Design Suite 2020

Right is not having to patch with panels to enclose the walls around the staircase.   Not being able to have "ceiling" under the stairs for the garage and wine room.  Not having moldings show up on the staircase?

I downloaded and looked at your plan. I saw two problems: 

1. you wish to have open riser-single stringer stairs which does not allow any "closing in" of those stairs so published. It makes no sense to have open riser, single stringer stairs run over other rooms without any workarounds.

2. A simple way to do this is to use regular stairs marked to be enclosed also with the setting in "Rail Style" set to "stringer at wall" to by default then have them mostly closed.

You wish to have a modern look for your open stairs, I get that but sometimes you have to make compromises between what your software is capable of (without also using Sketch Up to create complicated custom constructs to fill in what HD Pro cannot do) and what you actually wish to portray.

Chief Premier has the native tools necessary to workaround this design problem, Home Designer Pro by itself does not, sorry.

DJP

PS: I just thought of this, you can set stairs to not automatically connect in "Edit Preferences". Once done you can leave your first stair object where and as it is. Then the second stair object you set to a closed-in style (sides and bottoms enclosed) for the run over your pantry area to the second floor. This will involved some patience and trial and error efforts to bring it off but I believe can be done in you are intent enough.

Thanks for the advice, just thought there might be an easier way.  Guess I will live with what I got.  I am in the process of rebuilding this house that I lost in the Napa fires in 2017.  Since I have actual blueprints and permits, it is not really necessary to get it exact, but would be nice to get the feel of what it would look like with an open staircase, as you see the glass panels create this look and feel and thought if I could get "rid" (or make the wall conform to the stairs) wall between the stairs, it would do that for me.  Glad to hear even Pro will not do that.  Was thinking of upgrading to Architectural 2021, but may not if it does not add anything?   Oh, every time I do what you stated, the landing between the stairs drops to the ground level and any adjusting does not fix it; maybe I need to play with it more, but I keep running into change one thing and it changes 3 others that I do not want....something Suite seems to do alot....LOL  Thanks again!

I took a look at the plan, there's other problems with it....

The Terrain perimeter is on the wrong floor, should be on the 1st floor.

Delete the terrain perimeter and rebuild the foundation then set it on the 1st floor

Delete the cabinet that's causing the Z-fighting and showing the house in 3d wrong.

The Garage and family room are one big room, put a wall on the other side and align it with the Wine Cellar

it will separate the garage from the family room. Delete the panels and create a room in the Garage put a door

there.

The ceiling heights are incorrect (F) should be 144" and (E) should be 145 1/2".

Put a roof over the Pantry.

On the 2nd floor, delete the invisible walls, change the slab to a balcony, change and resize the newels

on the railing.

Uncheck extend the slope downward, it's not needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you give me more insight as to how the program sees the terrain that you would set this to the 1st floor; as logic would be the ground( terrain), foundation, 1st floor, 2 nd floor, attic, roof?  Also why if this is an option, why it cannot be just changed?  What would " build terrain" again do?

The terrain can be created on ANY floor but the idea is to display it on the floor that makes the best sense graphically to display for your project. It is something you do, consciously as a choice. New users have to get over the "Software Knowing things or having intelligence" it DOES NOT HAVE THESE ATTRIBUTES,  it is the user who must be informed, knowing, and intelligent. The software is merely a mechanical robotic tool that must be guided to a result-the end user is the guide and is the only entity possible to be responsible for any outcomes, good or bar.

DJP

You stated that my terrain is on the wrong floor, where do I look to see where it is set to, where do I set the floor as I do not remember setting the floor?  How do you know which floor is the "right" floor since you state it can be set to any floor?   What will I gain from deleted the terrain and rebuilding to set it to the 1st floor?  I just remember having days of working on the terrain just to get it to look normal and if I am not going to gain much, I can live with it as it is?  Thanks for the advice