Pass through, pony wall....

etherplain

Hi,

Between my kitchen and dining room we took down the wall between and restructured it.  It's now a half wall with a split for the walk way between the rooms (I hope I'm explaining this well).   There are cabinets on the kitchen side of the half wall, and the wall goes up to bar height and is capped with granite for a bartop that provides extra seating in the dining room.  Also we weren't able to flush the header between the rooms into the ceiling, so that sticks down.   Basically it looks like a big passthrough (split so you can walk through).

So with Home Designer Suite 2015, I can't figure out how to a) represent the header (I can't even fake it with a soffit) or how to put the countertop on top of the pony wall.  Anyone know how to do either or both?

Thanks!

Pics help , see my sig for instructions but I would of thought a soffit would do the bar top? not sure why you cant make a beam either from a soffit or library shape?

Do you have the beam tool under Framing? or no framing tools? sorry I use Pro now and don't remember what Suite has.

might want to add your info to your sig too , I think you are going to have more questions and it will save time.....

M.

Solver nailed it.

Use the doorway and pass-thru, inserted into a full interior wall.

Extend the pass-thru slightly into the doorway.  Drag (in 3d view) both up to meet the hang-down size of your header.

Pull the bottom of the pass-thru up or down to the bar height.

Suppress casings on both doorway and pass-thru, BOTH sides.

Make the soffit counter, and hold down Ctrl key and drag into place.

I tried using a half-wall, and a soffit (as a half-wall) and neither of them would build a baseboard for some unknown reason.

Usually they do.

post-63-0-51786600-1421370958_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hii again, sorry for disappearing.  I've tried the doorway and passthru trick, but I can't seem to get it to work.  I'm guessing I didn't quite follow the directions right, so perhaps you can tell me what I've done wrong?

See attached screen cap.  I used a passthru on one side, then a doorway and then another passthru.  I can't seem to get the passthru to overlap the doorway though.  In plan view when I drag a passthru it goes so far and then  moves the doorway and the other passthru with it.  In 3D view, I can't seem to grab the passtrhu at all, I always end up selecting some random object behind it.

Is there a trick to this?

Thanks again.

View To A kitchen

Also, on a related topic (as it affects the rendering) how in HD Suite 2015, do you define a room?  I didn't do the Space Planning tool to build my rooms as I had the exact dimmensions.  Now however it seems that HD Suite only recognizes an individual room if it has a door on it.  In my current plan the living room, dining room and kitchen areas are all one big room as far as HD Suite is concerned.  I'd like to change the crown moulding in my kitchen, and add a sofit ceiling in a laundry area (though I know for the latter I could just add soffit manually instead of making it a room setting). 

Also kudos to Jo_Ann for the soffit tool trick.  Makes a nice bar top!

Individual rooms are defined by walls (solid or invisible) that are connected to other walls.

Here's another approach to the passthru/ doorway problem:

Replace the ENTIRE stretch of wall  (passthru/doorway/passthru) with a railing (railing, not deck railing).

Open the wall: make it solid> change railing height to the bar height.  Close the wall dialog.

Grab the wall break tool, and add 2 wall breaks where the walk thru door opening will be.

Open that center section of the railing wall and set it as 'invisible'.

You will still have to use a soffit to represent the header, and the bar-top counter.