Upper level wall protrudes down through vaulted ceiling

FlightDeck

Hello all,

I'm new to this software, and loving it so far :)  I'm using the Architect 2015 version

I'm having an issue with the exterior wall surface from upper levels extending down past vaulted ceilings on lower levels.  See photos.

post-1560-0-12676700-1421284430_thumb.pngpost-1560-0-12608900-1421284417_thumb.png

I was expecting the exterior wall surface to stop at the roof line and the portion below the vaulted ceiling to appear as an internal wall surface.

Next, if I change the upper level room to Open Below to create an atrium, this external wall protrudes into the space below the vaulted ceiling, whereas I'd like it to end flush with the roof/ceiling structure.

post-1560-0-88694100-1421284621_thumb.png

(Note, prior to setting the upper room to Open Below, I added a Room Divider Wall to the lower level, aligned with this same exterior wall above.  I did this as I've found if I don't the entire lower level ceiling/roof jacks up about a foot above all the crown mouldings for some reason.)

I've seen some discussion here in the forum on similar issues, however the remedies seemed unique to the Pro version if I understood correctly.  I need something that would work with the Architect version.  I'm hoping it's just a simple setting I've overlooked to clip walls automatically at lower roofs.

Thanks and regards,

Kyle

PS, the above photos are just from a quick model I made specifically to test/show this issue.  There's nothing else in it beyond what you see, and it was created using one of the built-in templates. 

I thought HDA had that option along with Pro , it is always best if possible to attach your .plan file just like you do pics so we can look at the particular issue as different versions have different features which is why it is good to add you version no# and title to you profile sig. as I have so you don't need to type it in every time you post.

M.

Jo_Ann still has HDA so hopefully she'll duck into this thread soon..... 

The only way to fix problem #1  (in any lesser program than Pro), is to cover it up.

Use an isometric wedge (library shapes) sized to cover the interior siding, and made thin.  Place it up against the siding, and partially submerged into the siding.

Problem #2 is more extensive.  Make the offending wall invisible, or change it into a glass wall (the same thickness as an exterior wall).

You then repeat the process as with problem #1, only this time on the outside and the inside (split thin shapes equally to simulate drywall & siding).

It will require numerous pieces to simulate both the interior anf exterior wall parts that are missing.

It is tedious, but I think that it is the only solution for problem #2  (with any HD title less than Pro).

You might try searching the forum, because there have been other posts about this type of problem.

And there you have your answer :)   good luck.

if you decide you need Pro , and can wait , I think the new version may be out this summer as I heard today Chief X7 Beta will come out in later this month and usually the HD Titles get there new versions 3-4 months after Chief's RC comes out.

M.

Okay thanks everyone.  It's as I feared... (worse, actually).  Guess I'm lucky I discovered this early in the 30-day trial.  :mellow: 

I'd like to look at this from both angles:  what can I expect from the suggested workarounds in the Architect version, and what I can expect from Pro.

Starting with Pro, Mick you mentioned a wall definition option "lower wall type if split by butting roof".  What will this do?  Will it create exactly what I'm looking for in this example, including with the neighbouring open space?  Will the ceiling drywall close in correctly where the vaulted ceiling and internal wall surface meet?  Will it update automatically without needing further manual intervention as I change material types, room sizes, roof pitch, etc.?  Will it play well with mouldings, windows (above the roofline), etc.?

For Architect, Jo-Ann am I correct to assume that the suggested workarounds will NOT update automatically as I change room sizes, roof pitches, etc., and I would need to manually redefine these cover-up/"band-aid" features after each one of those changes?  Also would I also face difficulties in adding features to the affected wall above the roofline, such as windows, crown moulding, etc?

Two other possible workarounds that came to me that I can explore when I'm home this evening...  One is to try adding multiple Breaks to the external wall in question, and then manually define the bottom of each wall segment at different heights so they remain concealed by roof structure.  I suspect though that the ceiling will look like crap immediately below this wall, with open holes in the drywall, etc.  The second idea is to simply toggle certain things on/off as I generate each needed floor plan or 3D view so that each one looks representative, since I can't make them all do so simultaneously.  I could even save a second copy of my entire plan, and then tweak them with individual settings to optimize display for each of the affected floors.  One plan would be used to show the interior view on lower levels, and the other for the interior view from the upper levels and the exterior views.  Thoughts?

Thanks again :)

KDJ

There are two settings in Pro. Wall Cuts Roof at Bottom, and Lower Wall Type if Split by Butting Roof.

I find them to be fickle -- that is, I'm sure I don't fully understand, or maybe the program is to blame, or maybe it's both. Anyway, here are two examples of what can be done.

One is open from one floor to another, one is closed using an interior room type of wall.

If this is an important feature, suggest you trial the Pro version and see if it works for you.

Here is an example using the glass wall option (it allows you to place windows, invisible wall does not).

Upper windows are placed program windows.  Lower windows and siding are all made using soffits.

Interior ceilings soar. There is no protruding wall in the interior vaulted ceiling.

It's all up to you.

You might want to download the free trial of Pro, and see what the different options are.

If you plan to use the program a lot and you have deep pockets, it might be worth the extra cost to you.

The HD website offers a substantial rebate if you want to upgrade.

post-63-0-90516100-1421345890_thumb.jpg

Yes certainly download the Pro Trial,open the plan and see the difference (only, you can't save in trial)  , it may come down too how much you enjoy fiddling and using workarounds like soffits to "get it done" but it can be time consuming ,but on a hobby level that may not be an issue. with HDA , Pro is another $300 so a good step up in the $$$ but it may pay for itself if say you are a Remodelling Contractor ,6-8 hours of workarounds to show a Client (and you can't charge for it) , makes $300 maybe worth it? 

M.

There are two settings in Pro. Wall Cuts Roof at Bottom, and Lower Wall Type if Split by Butting Roof.

I find them to be finicky -- that is, I'm sure I don't fully understand, or maybe the program is to blame, or maybe it's both. Anyway, here are two examples of what can be done.

One is open from one floor to another, one is closed using an interior room type of wall.

If this is an important feature, suggest you trial the Pro version and see if it works for you.

post-171-0-88267700-1421340903_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-09657800-1421340919_thumb.jpg

I find them to be finicky -- that is, I'm sure I don't fully understand, or maybe the program is to blame, or maybe it's both. Anyway, here are two examples of what can be done.

Thanks everyone!  And double thanks for posting the examples!  :)

Eric, I wonder what your second photo would look like if you set the upper level room to Open Below so that it removes that floor.  That's actually pretty close to what I'm trying to do in my design.

Jo-Ann, I'll have a look at the Glass Wall option.  I didn't realize that was in there..., so far I had only seen the Room Divider and Invisible Wall options for creating "phantom" walls. 

Mick, this is for personal design of my own home.  I may give the Pro version a look-see, but it's a big price jump if it's only going to offer me one extra thing I'll use (and I would debate it should already be in Architect since the sales info lists vaulted ceilings as a capability).

Thanks again  :)

KDJ

KDJ,

In the pic I posted, the upper floor is 'open below'.  I tried to angle the house so that it would show, and I also painted the back wall to display that feature better.

The glass (shower)  wall option is in the wall dialog box, within the different wall types listed.

Pro has many more features but there is no way to know what you will use or not , if you are going to try for a building Permit ?  Pro maybe easier ,maybe necessary for elevations and cross sections ,CAD Details etc , though you could hand your plans of to an Arch. to complete , there are several Designer's that use Pro for ConDocs. 

Its 5-6 years since I had HDA so I don't truly remember what limits it had.

M.