Gable Roof + Flat Roof

SnowmanMTU

I am getting stuck with the Home Designer Suite 2015. 

I'd like to put a Gable Roof over my main living space at 4 or 6:12 pitch with the possibility for dormers on the top side.

I'd like to put a flat roof on the Master Suite and the Garage.  The catch with this is that there needs to be a parapet around the edge (classic SW "Santa Fe" style) 

I can't even get this program to build me a nice Gable roof over my main living space let alone beat it out of it's head that the rest should be flat and I haven't even seen an option for Parapets.

Has anyone solved this problem before?

Floor Plan 2 blank Limited Labels.plan

Is this what you are wanting?

I cheated a bit and used tools you don't have in Suite to do the roof.

Check your ceiling heights -- most are using the default, some are slightly off.

I did create a 2nd floor with short walls and no roof to fake the parapet walls.

post-171-0-43534100-1421122311_thumb.jpg

All you need to do is meld these two tutorials together :)    try each one then practice on a copy ( do a "save as") of your main Plan , if you get stuck ask more questions here

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00359/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/Automatically-Building-the-Basic-Roof-Styles.html#Gable

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-00120/52/Home-Designer/Roofs/Creating-a-Parapet-Roof.html

Mick

Solver,

That looks very very close.  Is there a way you can send the file back and I can open it?  Or should I just copy what you suggested and make the walls even height and then make the Walls around the garage / master a second floor with short walls?

KBird1,

What do you mean about the default height on the doors?  I did make the french door on the top side taller since that is the direction of a nice mountain view.

Thanks, 

Is this what you are wanting?

I cheated a bit and used tools you don't have in Suite to do the roof.

Check your ceiling heights -- most are using the default, some are slightly off.

I did create a 2nd floor with short walls and no roof to fake the parapet walls.

yes the room heights not the doors , it cause a sight ripple (diagonal line) in the roof otherwise, set those two areas to default like the rest.

look at the parapet tutorial , yes you add a 2nd floor ,with BLANK option, at 36" high  , the reason for using railing or 1/2 walls if you have them rather than walls is so you get a cap on top of the parapet wall (like a railing) and a finished look.

M.

Here's what I've gotten to thus far (See Attached)

Thanks for the guidence on the interior heights.  That was kicking my butt before.

For some reason I'm ketting a little flair up on the edge.  I've tried to adjust the over hang and where the walls sit on the 2nd floor but to no avail. 

Thoughts?

post-1503-0-73442000-1421209484_thumb.png

post the new plan

looks like you need to adjust the width of the parapet walls to the same as the lower walls too ...think I see a gap or something in your pic?

is the wall split in two with one part a gable other part something else where the flair is..... easy to fix in Pro with manual roof tools but in Suite you need it 100% right as you only have Auto Roofs.

Are the house and garage ceiling (room) heights correct ? asI think the Software is smarter than I thought :P  that "flair" is the only way you would get water out of that corner at the current roof elevations , should the garage be lower perhaps eg a standard 8' stud height ?  is the current 25 " difference in floor height correct ?  is this a real house you are doing the As-Builts for ?

M.

post-25-0-57630100-1421311606_thumb.jpg

Took far too long :) but it is doable , in the end I drew my own plan same shape as yours to eliminate any unusual conditons and got the same flair up , and in the end the issue is you NEED the rail along the house to get a room definition which is needed to do the parapet roof , but if you align it over the existing wall below it causes the gable wall not to build ,so as seen in the pic I moved the walls (#2)  outside but against the Gable wall and side of the house and set them invisible, this works but you get an error saying the roof overhang is protruding through a wall ( or something similar) so I set the parapet "room" as a balcony (#1) which fixed that.

Haven't tried this in your plan Snowman , very late here now , give it a try and see how it goes.....

M.

not sure you can open this but Eric will be able too check my "Fix" for me.

SnowManFix 1.plan

Great tips here!  :)  I followed the tip to place the two walls against each other and make one invisible.  I was able to create this combination of a parapet roof, gable roof, and "penthouse".

post-1560-0-42601500-1421380769_thumb.jpg

Timely, as I needed this for the design I'm creating!  :)

In mine I didn't need to set the rooftop deck to the Balcony type, I just left it as whatever it is by default.  I'm really not sure why I didn't need to, like suggested above.

I still ended up with a seam in the siding around the outer walls.  I set the half-wall thicknesses to be the same as the walls on the lower level, and I used the material painter to apply the siding.  I used Align With Walls Below, yet in different tests I could only get it flush on 1 out of 4 sides on a full parapet roof.  Strange...

your roof doesn't cut through the dbld wall Kyle like Snow's does along the front wall.

try not to use the material painter unless you need to it is always better to define the wall properly especially if you plan on using the materials list at all.

they might not align properly if you drew them in reverse and the outer layers are on the inside , when you select a wall you will get a edit handle along what side the program considers the exterior side ( as well as the ends etc.)

for some reason Snow I can't get your pics to load but Kyle's was fine....

your roof doesn't cut through the dbld wall Kyle like Snow's does along the front wall.

try not to use the material painter unless you need to it is always better to define the wall properly especially if you plan on using the materials list at all.

they might not align properly if you drew them in reverse and the outer layers are on the inside , when you select a wall you will get a edit handle along what side the program considers the exterior side ( as well as the ends etc.)

for some reason Snow I can't get your pics to load but Kyle's was fine....

Hi Mick,

My roof doesn't cut through because I don't want it to.  Sorry didn't realize that was the goal (I couldn't get Snow's pics to open either)..., I thought it was just to get a parapet roof to abutt against an external wall that has its own gable roof.  Either way, the double-wall/invisible technique works great!  :)

Thanks,

KDJ

PS, I used the Material Painter as that's what the tutorial shows to use for parapet roofs.  The tutorial is incorrect?  It gave me the impression that all wall layer properties are assigned, not just surface texture.  And thanks for the tip about the edit handles being on the "exterior" side of the wall; I always wondered how to know which side is which for interior walls!  :)

No it wasn't the goal , it is just how his house is , the roof of the 1st floor overhangs onto the parapet roof at about 1-2' off the deck ( so thru 3' high parapet wall) whereas yours is 8' up and clears the Parapet wall.

not incorrect , it works as you can see , if you look at the material def. though it will say beige stucco painted as 6" lap siding ...or something like that

and in some situations .like if you want two materials on a wall defining them properly works , I think pony walls are one example try the painter and the whole wall changes , not just the stone part etc.

• 3 weeks later...