Different Roof Pitches for Tiny Home

Joshjmitchell1

Howdy Chief Architect community,

I am relatively new to the Home Design Pro software, and my wife and I are using it to layout our future tiny home. I am attempting to create a roof over a loft with a smaller pitch than the rest of the house in order to give it more room. However, I have not been able to split the roof into separate sections to do this. Either the auto roof will always have the same pitch for the entire roof, or the roofing planes will not connect when I draw them myself.

I have attached a picture of what I am attempting and a few picture of my design. 

I know there is an article that describes multiple shed roofs, but I have not been able to adapt this to my design.

https://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/article/KB-01020/creating-multiple-shed-roofs.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Peace and Joy,

Joshua

Untitled image.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 2.26.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 2.26.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 2.27.31 PM.png

First, you're right about this.  You can divide an exterior wall and set two different roof pitches, and the program just picks one.  It's kind of maddening to be honest.

I found two ways to deal with this.  You can start by trying to make two separate roof groups.  If there are rooms corresponding to the rough outline of each roof section, put them in two different roof groups (select room, open object properties set different group numbers above 0).  This will cause two independent and non-interactive sections of roof to form.

The other way to do it (short of manually drawing roof planes) is roof baseline polylines.  With that, you can make your roof very easily.  I've outlined some techniques for using them in this thread:

They don't seem to have caught on, but I find them very useful.

By the way, your roof here is actually very, very simple.  It shouldn't be hard to draw this using manual roof tools.

Multiple ways to do this.

You control alternate (not default) roof pitch in walls.

Roofs build over rooms, so set the ceiling height to set the wall top height to control where the roof starts.

I'd make the section with the loft a 2nd floor, but it's not necessary.

Manual roofs -- Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/LsjUP9ee6jU?hd=1

• Like 1

True, the different room/wall heights do allow for different roof pitches along a wall. What the program doesn’t allow is a change in roof pitch associated with a single long wall with the same height (even if you split the wall and set two different pitches).

Thank you for the help so far. I agree David, it can be frustrating when trying to work with a single wall with the same ceiling height.

Solver, I have created two different rooms and changed the ceiling heights, and it kind of worked. It now has two pitches in the back room. Can you identify the problem? Here are pictures of the roof and the different heights/pitches in the rooms.

------

Using Home Designer Pro 2018

On 2015 MacBoo Pro

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 8.33.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 8.33.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 8.34.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 8.34.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 8.34.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 8.34.29 AM.png

Here's what I came up with.

Built a 2nd floor then lowered it to 0"

For the shed roof, used the break wall tool and created a room, raised the ceiling height to 48"

Gabled the side walls, lowered the pitch on the front wall to 4" and highshed/gable the back wall

For the Bay area Gabled the side wall and highshed/gable the front wall.

tiny.plantiny.thumb.png.4d1725b3179d0f7f6c46cf1a1bcd9084.png

• Like 1