Adding an eyebrow roof above windows attached to parapet above ceiling

Jamie_KMG-365

Hello all,

New user here.  I'm designing a granny flat (ADU) for my wife and I to grow old and die in (son just got "married with kids" and now "this house ain't big enough for the six of us!"), and I'm trying to match the style of the existing 1935 Spanish Revival Style in front.  I've got a long south-facing covered/partially enclosed patio (aka a "California room") and I'm trying to attach an eyebrow roof above the openings high enough to let in the low winter sun and project enough to shade them in summer.  The eyebrow will run the length of the south wall and wrap around the east and west walls to cover the first 1-2 openings.  Since there is no "room" in front of/outside the house, I can't seem to find a way to just "stick" a long, shallow "shed roof" to the wall.  :-)
Also, there is to be a flat roof with a ~20" parapet above this eyebrow so I can raise the attachment point of the top of the eyebrow and buy some more slope.  I need to have enough slope for the Spanish tile eyebrow roof, while not blocking too much of the high arched openings below (it's only going to project about 30-36" from the house, see pics of existing).  I'm struggling between calling the room above a "deck" and using railings (which looks goofy), or making a room above with 20" high (solid) walls for the parapet, but then I don't know how to get any sort of "railing" on top of the parapet "walls".  Do I need to make a "fourth floor" with no floor to make the railings, perhaps? I couldn't figure out how to do it with a pony wall.

Attached is one picture that I was using as a sort of representation of what I'm looking for as well as the one I put on the existing house, which I will be trying to match.  The railing on top of the parapet will only need to be another 20" high (to give a total 40" height from the roof deck) and will likely be stuccoed with a clay tile cap, with no more than 6" clearance between the round ballusters (per code).  The newels will be slightly larger than the ballusters (and squarish), but not as massive as those in the picture of the example house.  :-)
I'm an old-school pencil and paper guy (though I did take early CAD classes in the early 1980's), but this program was recommended by an architect friend, and I feel more like I'm designing a video game!  Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!  <3

Casita_2.0.plan

CasitaShedRoofExample.jpg

ExistingShedRoof.jpg

12 minutes ago, Jamie_KMG-365 said:

I can't seem to find a way to just "stick" a long, shallow "shed roof" to the wall.  :-)

Manual roof plane, or use an Open Below room to automatically get the roof.

14 minutes ago, Jamie_KMG-365 said:

I couldn't figure out how to do it with a pony wall.

What's the problem?

-------

And it's easier for people like me, and probably better for you if you ask clear, easily identifiable questions.

For example: How do I add the eyebrow roofs as shown in the picture.

Resources for self help:

The built in Help System (always a good place to start)

Home Designer - Getting Started - Setting Preferences and Defaults

• Upvote 1

In photo one, the openings in the porch wall are just doorways manually located.

In photo two the eyebrows are merely manual roof planes supported, manually with corbels from the Library Browser.

The parapet railings can be manually set to whatever height you wish and in this case I would not use roof planes but rather make the (no ceiling areas) Balcony's. What you are asking for is over an hours work for someone who has spent the time to learn how to manipulate the software to a specific result. It is done by following procedures, dialog box and Default Settings and a bit of knowledge about creating manual roof planes. Take it a piece at a time, learn the tools necessary to create that piece and then move on the next piece or segment of the plan until finished. No one can merely guess their way to a product, it requires study and practice to then gain knowledge and competence.

DJP

• Upvote 1

On 10/13/2020 at 8:15 PM, DavidJPotter said:

In photo two the eyebrows are merely manual roof planes supported, manually with corbels from the Library Browser.

Yes, I finally figured out the manual roof planes, and I did notice the corbels (one pattern very much like mine) in the library.  You're right, I'm trying to build this plane as I'm taxiing down the runway.  :-)
Thanks very much for your help.

On 10/13/2020 at 5:59 PM, solver said:

For example: How do I add the eyebrow roofs as shown in the picture.

Got it! (Sorry for the folksy style. I forgot I was dealing with engineers).  ;-)

Question: "How do I make a 20" high solid parapet around the perimeter of a flat roof creating a balcony "room" and then also add a 20" railing on top of the parapet?"

16 minutes ago, solver said:

Pony wall.

Yes!  I had drawn the roof planes too far into/above the wall, which didn't affect the railing as they just punch through the Spanish tile, but the lower wall would not.  I drug the roof plane back and it was like a Jack-In-The-Box: up popped my parapet!  :-D

Thanks again!  <3