Knee wall under hip roof

Fulcrum

Using Home Designer Architectural 2021

I'm trying to model my house, which has a hip roof over the second story on the backside, which extends down to the first story on the front side. Most of the front side of the house is broken up with gable roof "dormers."

I've modeled almost all of the roof successfully as the gable roof sections of the house prevent the main hip roof from having to actually extend to the first floor everywhere except one corner of the house. I've tried unsuccessfully to model the corner in question by using a knee wall underneath the hip roof, but the software does not seem accept a knee wall under a hip roof. I would think this would be a fairly common scenario (ie. framed living space under a hip roof attic), so I'm hoping someone can help me with the proper way to do this.

Thanks

Roof design.jpg

acutal home.jpg

roof model 2.jpg

roof model.jpg

It's not clear to me what your house looks like.

Roofs build over rooms, whose height is controlled by the ceiling height. There is also an Attic room type which has special properties related to roofs.

Sometimes you need to create interior spaces to control the roof using walls and ceiling heights that do not represent the actual house. Once the roof is correct, turn off Auto Rebuild and redraw the interior to be correct.

Attaching your plan file (close the program first) is also helpful for the best help.

Ok Thanks. I've included more pictures and the home plan here.

The problem is that the hip roof extends to the second story walls at the back of the house, but at the front, it extends to the first floor walls. This is only noticeable at one corner of the house, because the other corners are broken up with gable roof "dormers." The corner in question has an interior knee wall in the actual house, but Home Designer does not accept a knee wall under a hip roof, only a gable roof.

Front elevation.jpg

house front.jpg

Home plan copy.plan

Hi Jo Ann

If you see the overhead view in my first post, and the front elevation, what you can see is that there is no wall there. In that section, the hip roof at the second story continues down to the first story, where it intersects the gable roof over the stone portion of the house. So, there is no exterior wall in that section. On the side of the house, there is a triangular shaped wall which follows the roofline down. I would think the way to do this is to make the wall section a knee wall, or use the extend roof down tool. I will follow shortly with a pic from my phone.

Here's an actual pic of the side of the house by the chimney. Since this roof section is flat along the side of the house except where it intersects another gable, maybe it should be made with an extend roof section? I wasn't able to do this successfully.

roof side.jpg

A new room needs to be created on floor 2, because the 2nd floor roof will build over a room.

The new pic of the chimney side of the house, reveals this part of the wall to be a "gable"  ( not a "hip").

When you no longer need to build the roof, "auto build roof" can be turned off.   You can then remove this new room, and the floor 1 ceiling will return to normal.

image.thumb.png.1f377ce6b52ad8e5cc2d2564061a157a.png     image.thumb.png.f6a5870532939404df8fe2b146e3048f.png