Sign in to follow this  
Mario_Rapinett

Big Brother & Trail Versions Expiry

I'm a long time user  CA Premier upto X5  .

I recently noticed this message when I purchased HD Pro 2021

"   Internet access for license authentication is required once every 14 days."  

what does this mean.....i hope it does not mean , what i think it is.....

I'm thinking about downloading a trail version of X12....  is there an expiry date for usage..

cheers  "M"

Trial versions do not "expire" in my experience. I currently have trial versions of Suite, Architectural and Pro to better address questions of users here. I also have Versions 9.5 through X12 active on my PC as well so I can service people who never upgraded. I consider it part of my business model.

DJP

9 hours ago, Mario_Rapinett said:

I recently noticed this message when I purchased HD Pro 2021

"   Internet access for license authentication is required once every 14 days."  

what does this mean.....i hope it does not mean , what i think it is.....

It means exactly what it says.

And please update your signature adding Pro 2021.

David....   Thanks mate..  I have followed your YT vids for years...  Saved them all..... great service to users worldwide

Eric...  why do I need authentication every 14 days...  There is no other software on the planet that requires this sort of license check.

Add SignaturePro2021 ????   Why ???

23 minutes ago, Mario_Rapinett said:

Eric...  why do I need authentication every 14 days...

Good question for Chief.

23 minutes ago, Mario_Rapinett said:

Because there are multiple titles (Suite, Architectural and Pro) and giving the best response very often depends on the one you are using.

20 hours ago, Mario_Rapinett said:

David....   Thanks mate..  I have followed your YT vids for years...  Saved them all..... great service to users worldwide

Eric...  why do I need authentication every 14 days...  There is no other software on the planet that requires this sort of license check.

I'm a computer systems manager by profession.  Trust me, there are plenty of programs where an Internet connection is required every time you start the software. It's common for any expensive professional software and ubiquitous for video games. For software used throughout offices or labs, we're often required to setup a license server from which machines can check out licenses.

The Chief/HD license system is flexible as you only need to connect once per 14 days.  The benefits are that you can automatically go offline without preparation.  You can also go to the website and reclaim a license and immediately begin working on a different machine (for example if your laptop is stolen, broken or you leave it home).  They rely on the 14 day expiration to not require more heavy handed license management. The only downside is that if you really plan to go off the grid for more than 14 days, you can't use Chief the whole time. I would imagine that is a rare situation.

As an alternate example gamers who purchase and play games via Valve's Steam service (the largest provider of PC games by far for over a decade) have to be online every time they start.  They can begin using a game offline only if they manually activate offline mode while online.  So planning ahead is required.