Proble with rotate plan view...

malconium

I just tried rotating a plan view by 90 degrees. I was stunned to find out that now the arrow keys for moving selected objects still move them in the same direction as before rather than in the direction that the arrow key points! For example the up arrow now moves objects to the left rather than up. Is there something I can do to a rotated plan to fix that? It would certainly be confusing to have that behavior persist with a rotated design.

you should update you profile so we know which software and year you are using , I think this is a Pro only feature but this might be a question for tech support ?  AFAIK the software "references" everything off the bottom of the screen , I just tried it in 2015 and it works as it should , ie up key is up at either 0° or 90° after rotating

OK - I have updated my signature so that the version information will now show up. Here is what I added:

Home Designer Pro 2015

Build: 16.4.20x64

September 8, 2014

Product Key: G35HW

As you can see I am pretty up to date and I do have the Pro version. It is true that the drawing I am working on was started with an older version though. I tried the Tools - Rotate Plan View menu command again rotating by 90 degrees and I get the wrong behavior that I described.

Happened once to me too.

Try using Edit>Edit Area(Edit All Floors) to select the entire plan, then just rotate it to where you want it.

Thanks for the suggestion but couldn't this be dangerous if I accidentally did not select something in my design? For example if I had some aspect of the design turned off for viewing might it not get selected and therefor not rotate?

Also as matter of principle the menu command that I used should work correctly and it does not.

Suggest you try it yourself. A marquee around the entire plan will select everything, even things that are not visible. 

Edit Area also has a "Visible" option which as it says, only selects what you see.

Also, read up on Rotate Plan View. I don't believe it is intended to do what you want.

yes any layer that is locked wont be selected , you would need to go into Display options select all, unlock all and then use Eric's idea.

draw a simple 30'x40' hip roofed house  ( basically the HD Tutorials house) and try the rotate option from the menu , works properly for me....

M.

yes any layer that is locked wont be selected , you would need to go into Display options select all, unlock all and then use Eric's idea.

draw a simple 30'x40' hip roofed house  ( basically the HD Tutorials house) and try the rotate option from the menu , works properly for me....

M.

As a matter of fact I did try making a new drawing with a small structure to see if the fact that my other drawing having started in an older version made any difference. When I use the rotate plan I still get the same odd behavior.

Suggest you try it yourself. A marquee around the entire plan will select everything, even things that are not visible. 

Edit Area also has a "Visible" option which as it says, only selects what you see.

Also, read up on Rotate Plan View. I don't believe it is intended to do what you want.

I did read up on the Rotate Plan View command. I see that the issue is that the Cartesian coordinates for the drawing also rotate which probably explains why the behavior of my arrow keys change. I am still not sure that this kind of behavior makes sense though. What is the Rotate Plan View command for if not to allow the designer to change the orientation of the plan in the drawing area?

post the plan and I will try it here , as my simple plan works as it should ie UP key is UP even after rotating.

also in post #3 you have posted your serial no # , sig is now fine

Did you rotate using the Tools - Rotate Plan View menu command or did you select and rotate? The small sample building I drew still had the problem. I wonder if there is perhaps some issue associated with how a keyboard interacts with the objects but I can understand why things might be different if the Cartesian coordinate system also rotates.

I did try selecting everything using the Edit Area command and rotating things that way. I am happy enough with that behavior for what I need.

Yep ,Tools>Rotate> put 90.0° in the DBX and tried the up arrow  no change in direction the house moved 

which is actually down with the up key as you are actually moving the scrollbar with the arrow keys NOT the model 

is that your issue ?  you are thinking the house should move relative to the arrow keys when it is actually the scrollbar you are moving?

you can change the scroll distance in the preferences if needed too , default is 12"   see page 692 of the manual

PS      in 3D views it depends on how you have it setup in the 3d menu for arrows keys

We are having some trouble communicating here...

I am not talking about using the arrow keys to move the scroll bars. Rather I am talking about selecting an item and moving it with the arrow keys. Try doing that after rotating the plan.

Ahhh ok , yep I missed that  but I guess you missed the highlighted Note on page 175 of the manual when you read it too.....  it is displaying the expected behaviour I think for objects, as they are placed with coordinates, I usually use the mouse ( and CTRL key) to move objects so had not noticed this behaviour with the arrow keys

post-25-0-06870700-1420945057_thumb.jpg

guess that's 2 hours neither of us will get back  :)

Ahhh ok , yep I missed that  but I guess you missed the highlighted Note on page 175 of the manual when you read it too.....  it is displaying the expected behaviour I think for objects, as they are placed with coordinates, I usually use the mouse ( and CTRL key) to move objects so had not noticed this behaviour with the arrow keys

attachicon.gifRotate Plan view warning.JPG

guess that's 2 hours neither of us will get back  :)

I use the mouse and control key a lot too. The arrow keys are useful for "nudging" things. You can set the amount of distance that a nudge moves an object. I usually have mine set to 1". I find that helps. Anyway I have been doing other things besides interacting with this so not much time lost overall. I did find out some things of interest too even though the behavior was not what I expected.

Forgive me for piping in on what already may be a known nuance, but I just figured out what my own problem was.  The rotate plan dialog does not say rotate "by" x degrees...it says rotate "to" x degrees.  So one can keep putting in the same number all we like but its not going to move until its given a new heading to rotate to.

• 1 year later...

Re-starting this topic as I'm hoping somebody can clarify.

I began drawing my floor plan; however I didn't think to orient the house on my screen to North. IOW, I drew my plan and have completed most all work so far with the top of the screen being South.

I won't be needing the cartesian coordinates features for anything really; i.e. sun angles, etc.  Just trying to get a plan set in to the jurisdiction to get the addition built.  

Any consequences of continuing by just rotating the plan view or should I re-draw with everything heading true North on my screen?