Chevron floorplan with gable roof

losttrail

I have tried every way I can think of to get this to have the correct roof, but nothing works. As a novice, I know it's probably me.

Designing a 'chevron' foot print house. SIPS exterior walls & roof, no flat ceilings inside, crawl space and/or partial basement, still evaluating cost. "Wings" are 30' x 50' each, center 'hub' (kitchen, living, 3/4 bath) horizontal wall is 32' long. Also along this 32' wall, we want an arctic entry outside with a deck.

Wanting gable roof on wing ends, hub horizontal wall. Prow front should be High Shed/Gable Wall, correct?

I've tried building the wings first with gable walls then adding the hub. Tried building the hub then adding wings.

I feel there is something I'm missing. Any help is appreciated.

Jerry

Chevron1.jpg

Chevron2.jpg

Chevron3.jpg

On 10/1/2020 at 10:40 AM, rangerrick said:

I did this using Home Designer Pro 2021, I'm aware you are using Architectural 2020.
I'm not sure if this is your desired result, but the first image shows how this was done.

Auto rebuild roofs turned on.

Losttrail_1.jpg

Losttrail_2.jpg

Here's what I'm needing to achieve. I can't get this figured out even though I've seen homes with a roof line like this built.

Chevron4.jpg

Chevron5.thumb.jpg.add762ba2761210172b30429856291f9.jpg

17 hours ago, solver said:

If you will attach your plan file -- close the program first, someone might have a go at this, or at least create something that is visually what you want.

Here it is. Each 'wing' is intended to be 40' x 30' and the horizontal wall in the Family room should be 32' unless that become too unwieldly for the roof pitches to match and meet.. Sadly I cannot figure out how to get accurate dimensions in this software without some other wall or corner moving.

Doesn't work like CADKey, MasterCAM, SolidWorks, BobCAD, SurfCAM, ProE or the other CAD/CAM products I've used over the decades. But then they are are for Mechanical design.

Chevron_Full_2020.plan

55 minutes ago, losttrail said:

Sadly I cannot figure out how to get accurate dimensions in this software without some other wall or corner moving.

Search my YouTube channel (link in my signature) for dimensions. There are I think 2 that may help.

I see David just replied. Unfortunately he shows using manual roof tools which Architectural does not have.

I did this just to have something to talk about -- is it what you want? If not, what needs to change? Once we understand your goal, someone might be able to help you get there.

ht1.thumb.png.ef928bfd8f6d3961709720265f074576.png

Or maybe this.

ht2.thumb.png.818da747595c87ba84acac1ddf1e3c02.png

ht3.thumb.png.7b0f86b9b588294ccd4d6aaf707cb7ad.png

25 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

DJP

Thanks DJP, very informative. Also, thanks for not sending me the file. I would much rather figure it out with your video as help. That creates a better brain 'wrinkle' of knowledge for me to work through it. Much appreciated!

10 minutes ago, solver said:

Search my YouTube channel (link in my signature) for dimensions. There are I think 2 that may help.

I did this just to have something to talk about -- is it what you want? If not, what needs to change? Once we understand your goal, someone might be able to help you get there.

ht1.thumb.png.ef928bfd8f6d3961709720265f074576.png

Hi Eric. That is exactly what I'm striving for!

I think maybe with DJP's video I may be able to get there, IF HD Architectural 2020 is capable of all those functions. Now that I understand a bit more, I'll give it a go and see where I get. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, losttrail said:

IF HD Architectural 2020 is capable of all those functions

I edited my post above after David posted.

Architecturally, I think it looks best to extend the room out when you have a gable above.

ht1.png.4a4883c4b8c198294699b31af16e046a.png

I'm beginning to think that HD Architectural 2020 will not do this. I have no selections like David shows, cannot edit roof planes, cannot get anything to work like David did since I don't have those menu functions.

I think this lends credence to my thought that Architectural is not capable of these functions. Next to last line shown:

Capture.JPG

Too much to explain, so I've uploaded a replica sample of your roof  (done in HDA 2018).  This replica  has 'auto build roof' still turned on.
You will need to look at all the settings.  The wall you call the 'hub' needs to have the overhang extended (2nd floor).  

When the roof looks like what you want, you then TURN OFF auto build roof.
You can THEN set the 2nd floor room to 'open below' (with no ceiling),  and also return some of the details to 'normal'.

image.thumb.png.274b6350ed858255f8e0bd097208a9ad.png     

Chevron prow roof.plan

44 minutes ago, Jo_Ann said:

Too much to explain, so I've uploaded a replica sample of your roof  (done in HDA 2018).  This replica  has 'auto build roof' still turned on.
You will need to look at all the settings.  The wall you call the 'hub' needs to have the overhang extended (2nd floor).  

When the roof looks like what you want, you then TURN OFF auto build roof.
You can THEN set the 2nd floor room to 'open below' (with no ceiling),  and also return some of the details to 'normal'.

image.thumb.png.274b6350ed858255f8e0bd097208a9ad.png     

Chevron prow roof.plan

Thanks JoAnn. I think I see where I was running into problems. Had my wall breaks in the wrong spots.