Spline feature not working

Gramps

Hello Eveyone

I am having a problem with the spline walk, spline driveway, and other spline terrain elements not  working.  They come out as a straight line or rectangle.

I am using Home Designer Suite Version 8.0 and have not had this problem before.  I did use the repair installation using the software installation disk.  That didn't work.

I read on an older forum about checking the edit command and making sure that the "edit object parts" was off.  I could not find this in the edit menu

any suggestions?

TIA

Paul H. aka Gramps

Chico, CA

I am not sure Suite has EDIT OBJECT PARTS as that is a CAD function ,but if you do there should be and icon and an option in the Preferences see the pics.

Suite 8 is pretty old , I had it many years ago ( now have Pro10) but don't remember that issue at all , David (DJP) may still have it installed and be able to check a few things for you. If you are trying to install it on Windows 8 that may be an issue as I think it was for XP or Vista.

M.

post-25-0-84908000-1420919126_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-12911200-1420919150_thumb.jpg

Kbird

Thanks for the info,  Unfortunately my old version seems to be lacking ( or I can't find it  ) this preference feature / edit object  I am using Vista 32 bit.  It is puzzling as even the CAD tool for a spline line is not working, Curved walls work, curved deck edges work, curved fencing work, curved retaining walls works.

Splined terrian walls is not working, splined terrian curbs is not working, splined road and spined sidewalks are not working. 

I am going to try uninstalling and reinstalling the software. 

I am trying to put a curved sidewalk around a kidney shapped pool.

Paul H

sorry I cant be more help , if a reinstall doesn't work you could email tech support and see if they can help , I think the new version can run on Vista though so perhaps you will need to upgrade ? think there is a $30 rebate for suite if you do.... 

Edit

yes the new version works on Vista according to the website

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/products/home-designer-suite/   then system requirements link.

What "old version" do you have? The spline tools and spline sidewalk have not been changed since they were first introduced many years ago. I realize it is not easy to shape but can be done with patience. Temporarily turning off "angle snaps" often helps when working with arc's and splines. For controlling arcs's I often use a poly-line side walk, then using the "Break Line" tool and "Straight Line to ARC" tool I can usually get the shape I need and want whereas the spine tool and spline sidewalk tool are VERY difficult to work with when you need exact paths and shapes.

DJP

Dave

Home Designer Suite Version 8.0

OS = Vista Home premium

Intel core quad CPU Q6600 2.40 HGz

Ram = 4GB

I turned the "snap angle" off

I am unabe to get the spline function to bend even a tiny bit. The CAD tool for a spline line draws a straight line.  Spline sidewalks are a rectaangle.

It's really weird. I guess I could to a bunch of small over lapping rectangles to follow the kidney shaped pool.  I was trying to put a sidewalk on one side of the pool and a retaining wall on the other side. 

thanks for all the help

Paul H

Chico, CA

it is generally a good idea to leave angle snaps on except for specific purposes/uses , then toggle it back on , the newer versions remind you to do this but Ver. 8 wont.

perhaps post the plan file and I or one of the other can try it and see if they can open it  and try splines.

Duh!!  I figured it out.  Operator error   Draw each section as a straight section, and then when they combine they "spline".

I work with a couple of different CAD programs so it easy for a aged person like myself to get confused,,hence the handle of "Gramps"

The home designer suite is a very cool program especially for the price.  I may have to upgrade.

Kbird and Dave, thanks again for you patience and suggestions

Paul H

• Upvote 1