Importing .dxf files

LenB10p

I'm new to HD and have used ARCON in the past.  I want to import my .dxf flies into HD as a starting point so that I don't have to start from scratch before making a new extension to the existing structure.  The metafile import gives the picture of the various views that I've exported from Arcon, but I don't think I can get specific details on measurements (all in metric).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LenB10p

Hi Len please update your signature so we know what HD software title and year you are using as only Pro has all the features and answers may depend on your title.

I am not 100% clear on what you are asking or trying to do either , so please explain more and perhaps add pictures as needed per

https://hometalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/221-how-to-take-pics-of-your-plan-to-post-here/?hl=pics

@LenB10p

The version of HD is Home Designer Suite 2015.  What I'm trying to do is import a .dxf file that has the design of a derelict French barn that I want to renovate using HD.  It would save me having to recreate the walls and footprint of the building.  However, it seems that HD suite 2015 will only export .dxf files, but not import them.

Simply put:  will my version of HD allow me to import files with a .dxf extension, and if so, will these files actually all the HD software to recognise the plan measurements, etc.

Thank for your help and I hope this makes sense.

Len

you are correct Len as far as I know Only Pro can import .dxf files

Suite also wont do Elevations easily and does not have any manual roof planes but that maybe not an issue Barn roofs are typically fairly easy.

if it is only a barn it should be pretty quick to redraw in HD Suite.

unfortunately a plan drawn in a better version eg Pro cannot be opened in a lessor (or Older) version either.

Have a look on the import menu in Suite , can they supply the DXF in another format you can import ?

Mick

I can't really tell what other formats might work but it appears that most are simply objects...so the details and measurements are just "pictures".  What might be more helpful is a space planner for a stand alone garage or barn.  Any thoughts on where I might find one within HD?

Thanks for you help.

Len