Shaping Doors

RobynKS

Generally doors like that are altered in height only in the DBX , as Pro doesn't make an angle top to the stair angle automatically if that is what you mean. I would just lower the height and add a text note to the Drawings indicating a custom cut door.

you maybe able to use a slab to make the door and use a Doorway for the frame ( i'd need to try it) but  even the Doorway probably will still stick out of the wall so perhaps no real advantage. Perhaps Jo_Ann has a trick up her sleeve ...we'll see..... 

perhaps Sketchup is the best option it's free , of course Chief can do it too...make custom doors that is  

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01808/

Even in the real world that type of panelled door is going to look strange with an angled top due to the panels . but any good carpenter can take a prehung door and cut a flat slab down if needed and make it work. Of course you can cut the panel doors too but it is much harder to fix the cut edge due to the panel.

Mick.

One option is to select the door, change it to a tudor arch, then select the 1 side you want lower. It will then clip the corner of the frame, yet the door will still stay square, so maybe show that door as open. Then go to an elevation view of the door & drag the height down to where it fits. The angle won't change & it should give you close to your desired result.

Is that door installed in the wall that the left side of the stairway is against? 

It appears to stick out above the right side of the stairs?  Is there a wall built under the right side of the stairs?

Is it a sliding door or a swinging door?

Thx R65 , nice tip  ,I just had a play and if you keep the 6 panelled door it will stay square  but if you choose the slab door it will angle it seems , the Panel (French) door will too but has some sort of anomalie in the high side angle in 3D.

I think you could use CAD to figure out the height of the tudor arch using the width of the door (30"?) and opening the staircase DBX to find it's Angle and then measuring the height at 30" (in my case) to get the Tudor Arch height.

post-25-0-90447800-1420746766_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-56464200-1420746787_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-92579100-1420747471_thumb.jpg

PS the furniture (drawers) would stop a swing door opening in its current position

Thank you everyone I will look at all your answers and get back to you. There is a wall there under the outer edge of the stair flight. 

It does work in real life my window manufacturer has been making them for me for over 40 years. It is a bifold door that opens towards to high side and it actually has three panels. The rail with the guides is on the floor. 

I had my laundry under the stairs in my first home. The laundry shoot was in the raised loft so my children could throw their washing down the shoot into the laundry basket. 

if you need more help a pic of the plan view may help us understand what you are doing Robyn ,especially since I think the terms you use are different in Oz from Nth America  eg a bifold door here has a track at the top , to no way the top could be angled.

O yes the terms are different most of the time. It can be a headache at times. But I google what I cannot not understand. 

I have tried to day Rookies and Davids way. It will not let me do a bifold. Yes bifolds over here have tracks at the top as well but this door is a special order. We sometimes put a double hinged door under the stairs as well. They too have a sloping top or as some say and angled top.

When I have a white wall it looks ok but with the blue wall it looks odd. see photos. I have tried several things to day pulling my hair out. LOL 

I also had to move the beam that supports the floor joist of the second floor Also had to move the wall back under the stairs more than it should be placed. As you said Kbird put a note on the plan. The clients do not like it when you cannot show them how it will look. 

post-620-0-61335400-1420790834_thumb.pngpost-620-0-72115000-1420790863_thumb.pngpost-620-0-34468500-1420790972_thumb.png

Many Thanks everyone x

That looks like a standard single hinged door now , completely different than what you posted yesterday ......as you can see the software cannot make those panelled doors at an angle ( even if your door guy can) but if you change the door to a slab it will look better as the software has no issue with a solid slab door.

having the hinges on the left will possibly be an issue with the point hitting the underside of the stairs too.

night.

Thankyou everyone. Yes Kbird I did get it to work better with the slab door. At first I thought you meant a slab as in the footing slab. Then I said to myself oh no too hard.... Then today I read everyones notes again and I got it. You are all such valuable gems. Your lingo sometimes is very sms or facebook style. I often get confused when my family send messages. Maybe by my 80th birthday I will get it all worked out. LOL

Rookie many thanks for your great comments you made,   Kbird and David understood your comments then lead me to a successful outcome. The doors look very unattractive in the 3D view but I have real life photos of these door to show my clients.  

Great outcome on this post thank you all from the depths of my heart. x