Wall breaks on exposed attic walls

InhabitEcoDesign

I am recreating in the software an existing structure built in the 70's. It has wood paneling in several places which changes direction on the walls. I have correctly displayed this on the main walls of the floor plan, but when I try the same method on the exposed attic walls (vaulted ceiling), it doesn't work. I can create the wall break in the attic wall, then open the section of wall I want and change the material. But as soon as I close the dialogue box, the material change will apply to the entire attic wall (the break disappears).  Any suggestions? Or what am I doing wrong?  You can see in the pic how the material is correct on the main wall, but all the same direction on the attic wall section. 

Similarly, there is an attic wall creating both a loft inside, and the exterior wall of the second story. I want to open that section of wall on the inside, so the loft is open the rest of the house. But I don't want to change the wall material of this wall above the roof. I'm not sure how to create a "break" in the wall along the roof line to try this. 

Thanks for your help! ( I would include the plan file, but it's too big. Any suggestions there?)

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 2.17.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 2.24.23 PM.png

• Like 1

Use a Custom Backsplash on the wall.

11 minutes ago, InhabitEcoDesign said:

But I don't want to change the wall material of this wall above the roof. I'm not sure how to create a "break" in the wall along the roof line to try this. 

Read about Roof Cuts Wall At Bottom and Lower Wall Type When Split By Butting Roof.

Thank you. The custom backsplash worked! And I was able to break up that loft wall using the "lower wall type split by butting roof." Unfortunately, when I change the materials on the lower wall, it doesn't translate into the 3D version, so I'll have to keep researching and experimenting I suppose. 

Thanks for your help.

Thanks, I tried that but the default material is drywall.  I"m trying to make the "lower" wall, which is the loft wall inside, appear invisible (So you can see into the loft from the main floor).  I tried making it an interior railing wall type, and changed the materials for the lower wall to "open/ no material", but drywall still appears in the 3D view.  If I actually specify the railing type too, it then applies itself to whole wall (upper wall included).   If I "define" the interior rail wall by deleting the drywall layers,  it does something else funky and actually shortens the lower wall. I've tried to use several different wall types for the lower wall (like room divider), but 3D always shows a drywall wall, 

First pic is the default interior railing wall, the second is after I defined the interior railing wall by removing the two drywall layers.

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 5.48.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 5.53.36 PM.png

5 minutes ago, InhabitEcoDesign said:

I"m trying to make the "lower" wall, which is the loft wall inside, appear invisible (So you can see into the loft from the main floor). 

Did you try a Room Divider wall type?

It's unclear what the plan is like, but maybe you need to use Roof Cuts Wall At Bottom.