Modifying a Single Room Size-Dimensions Among Multiple Rooms

Ducati007

Hello Hometalk Gurus:  (I am a 2021 HD Architectural newbie)

I am hoping you can assist me and others (in the future) with addressing this problem:

I am trying to figure out how to change a single room in a multi-room building in a plan that has already been heavily designed.  Specifically, I want to make the center room of this monitor style building more narrow in the width (from 36'5" to 28'), without modifying the sizes of the other two "side" rooms which are 22'.  I did make it work on a very simple example by deleting the 2nd floor, modifying the first floor dimensions via edit area, and then recreating the 2nd floor again based on the new 1st floor plan, but what if you need to adjust a room size after you have done a lot of design work, have multiple floors, special walls, etc and don't want to lose all those settings/elements?  

For my build, the tricky part is this room (the RV garage) is located on 2 floors (so an open room on the 1st floor that goes all the way to the ceiling), and both floors have lots of design elements already.   I have attached the plan of my build so you can see what I mean.

Is the "delete 2nd floor, adjust 1st floor, recreate 2nd floor and basement" process the best/only method to do this?  I feel like the program should take changes and adjust on all levels, but I can't seem to get it to do that, and my best effort resulted in not being able to generate a new attic level (and yes, auto-generate roofs was on). 

I zipped the file so I hope you can open it OK.  

Thanks for your time and support!

Barndo Monitor #1.zip

Hi @solver:

I did use Edit Area, and moved it, but Edit Area doesn't let you choose a specific width/size for the removed area, and it definitely doesn't "copy" the same size area on the 2nd floor, so after doing the Edit Area actions (deleting an area, then selecting and moving the remaining part "over") I think my walls are slightly off-alignment and I can't find a tool to get them right again so I can rebuild the roof and see the attic.  They look right on screen, but something must not be right for it not to create the attic level again.

7 minutes ago, Ducati007 said:

but Edit Area doesn't let you choose a specific width/size for the removed area,

CAD>Draw Polyline

Reshape the polyline as needed.

ht1.thumb.png.54feb8ff9bf4bf63eedf3f3f05b45fed.png

Edit>Edit Area

Edit Area will use the polyline as its selection.

Once you move one floor, select the polyline, Cut, go to 2nd floor, Paste/Hold Position, repeat the process.

11 minutes ago, Ducati007 said:

so after doing the Edit Area actions (deleting an area, then selecting and moving the remaining part "over") 

Don't delete the center, select like I have shown in the image, then use the arrow keys to move.

You can set the distance here (change the 60 to the distance you want to move), then 1 press of the arrow key will move the selection that amount.

ht2.thumb.png.e9c8459fd8a851f137c2d88ffec42603.png

16 minutes ago, Ducati007 said:

I think my walls are slightly off-alignment and I can't find a tool to get them right

When you select a wall that is closely, but not exactly aligned with a wall above/below, check the Edit Toolbar for tools that will correct this.

• Like 1