Assign / calculate total cabinet volume?

4ndrew

Hi all,

I'm not at the computer with HD Pro installed, so can't experiment with this - but is there some way I can assign a volume to various cabinet (or have it calculate it automatically) and end up with a real-time volume total?

We're redesigning our kitchen and I'd like to measure what we currently have, design / adjust a new layout, and know on-the-fly what my current cabinet volume is so that I can compare to what we have now.

thanks,

Andrew

• Downvote 1

I can't help with your specific request, but cabinet volume seems like a bad way to compare the utility of two different cabinet layouts.  Even if the new cabs are much taller, linear feet of wall cabs is probably still closer to what you want for wall cab utility.  Extra tall cabs or a second layer might help make up for some missing lower cabs as you might be able to store some rarely used things high that used to be stored low... of course, some things fit into a 2' deep base cab that don't fit into a 1' deep wall cab.  So again, volume is really a poor way to compare.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davidstvz said:

I can't help with your specific request, but cabinet volume seems like a bad way to compare the utility of two different cabinet layouts.  Even if the new cabs are much taller, linear feet of wall cabs is probably still closer to what you want for wall cab utility.  Extra tall cabs or a second layer might help make up for some missing lower cabs as you might be able to store some rarely used things high that used to be stored low... of course, some things fit into a 2' deep base cab that don't fit into a 1' deep wall cab.  So again, volume is really a poor way to compare.

Thanks David -

yeah, it's not exactly for a 1-1 replacement - just a way of keeping a running estimation of how much space is available, regardless of its specific use.

We're planning on putting a few very different things in, such as a pull-out pantry, microwave drawer, and deeper cabs next to (and over) the fridge. I just like seeing comparative numbers.

One thing I'm trying to figure out (somewhat unrelated) is how to move some things a bit higher or store them differently - I'm relatively tall and hate having to practically lay on the floor to find small things at the back of lower base cabinets :) so I want to utilize low shelves for large things.

That said, volume is volume - if I can "reassign" storage space and end up with extra space, great - but I still would like to be able to calculate it on the fly as a point of reference.