Monitor style roof Barndominium

Ducati007

@solver/et. al:

Help a newbie!!  I am also trying to do the monitor style roof (see attached picture) and did as previously recommended on another thread to try and raise the center part of the roof: I made a simple structure with a central room, adjusted the ceiling height in the central room to be 30 inches higher than the two side rooms, and no matter what I do, I can't "break" the roof line of the simple 1-story building.

nebraska-steel-buildings.jpg

- I have a 4-12 pitch roof

- I designated the vertical sides of the building as hip walls and the two horizontal sides of the building as full gable

I even tried to create a 2nd floor that just had the central room, and it still won't generate a higher roofline. 

I am so perplexed and likely am doing something wrong...  Any help would be appreciated.   I have attached the file for your use.

Monitor Roof Test Design.plan

4 minutes ago, solver said:

Does this help?

ht1.thumb.png.ead5829cc25d8694cb48b4e4be6fa86c.png

I can't say that this picture does help.  It looks like you made a 2nd floor that was 6'8" tall, and then did a wall break that was 2'6.5" tall.    I am still not tracking on how to make the roof raise in that section, or which attributes should be assigned to the two portions of the "broken" vertical wall.   As noted, a serious newbie, but have been unable to find anything in the references you note to help me do this. 

As for the signature--I updated, thanks.  I thought it was my profile info that would be displayed. 

I appreciate the help.  

3 minutes ago, Jo_Ann said:

A 4/12" pitch rising across a 13' 7" span is going to rise about 5'.
Your center room rises only 30" higher than the side rooms.  
What did you think would happen?

I assumed the center room would be 30" higher than the side rooms that had the same pitch.  Are you saying I need to do 5 feet plus 30 inches? 

1 hour ago, Ducati007 said:

adjusted the ceiling height in the central room to be 30 inches higher than the two side rooms

You changed the ceiling height to what is shown by the short red line. You can see a black line in the 2 taller walls showing the level of the ceiling in that room.

Ceiling height is one way of controlling wall height.

Start by raising the ceiling 8', just as a test. Use a cross section or elevation camera to see what happens.

And turn on Auto Rebuild Roofs.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the Youtube video. Sadly though, I watched it many times and followed your directions fully (modifying all room attributes per your guidance) and still no luck. I even tried to make the 2nd floor center room significantly taller, and it would not allow the 2nd floor to break the 4-12 roofline even though the values stated the 2nd floor was over 20 feet tall! 

I presume it is due to limitations with my software.  I will start a new file and try it again and will report back if it works.

In other news, with HD Architectural, you are not able to remove the floor structure. 

I tried again and made sure all my values for wall heights and such were the same as yours.  I also ensured that auto rebuild roofs was on, and tried both on/off for ignore the top floor.  See pics to confirm.  No matter how high a value I put in for the 2nd floor room, the roofline will not break.  I even tried changing the type of roof wall the upper room walls were from hip walls to high shed/gable walls, and it didn't affect the "rise" of the 2nd level.  Is there a way to shut off the 4/12 pitch or continuous pitch roofline, or should my walls have different values WRT the roof (i.e., hip wall, knee wall, etc)?

image.thumb.png.b5ba352f7763dcdc782ce4c87114fa64.pngimage.thumb.png.116d0dd700012f5e6f5822e8a934be32.pngimage.thumb.png.56b97d63370a848bef4695087e3b0cd4.png

6 minutes ago, Jo_Ann said:

If you followed Eric's instructions  (which you didn't),  then you would get this result.

Hey @Jo_Ann  This is the 2nd time you have been extremely condescending, and I don't appreciate it.  I watched Eric's video several times and did exactly as he noted--I made the 2nd floor interior walls exterior walls; I modified the room ceiling on the 1st floor and 2nd floor to the exact same values, and ensured I had auto-rebuild roofs.

Instead of being rude as you sit on your high horse, why don't you provide the plan that you made that roof with using HD Architectural so I can LEARN from my mistakes and hopefully help another newbie?  Otherwise, please exit the discussion; you are being less-than-helpful.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!  :D   THANK YOU ERIC!!!  I assumed those outer walls on the 2nd floor had to be there since it copied the floorplan from the first floor! 

I am seriously SO grateful!          

Free Animated Thanks Message Gifs, Free Thank You Text Animations ...

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...
On 8/5/2020 at 11:28 AM, Ducati007 said:

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!  :D   THANK YOU ERIC!!!  I assumed those outer walls on the 2nd floor had to be there since it copied the floorplan from the first floor! 

I am seriously SO grateful!          

Free Animated Thanks Message Gifs, Free Thank You Text Animations ...

Ducati, would you mind posting here the plan that finally worked for you?

2 hours ago, solver said:

@HobbleCreek

Why not follow the videos posted above and learn for yourself?

Fair question, and thank you for responding. Mostly because I am at an earlier stage in the design process than where @Ducati007 ran into his troubles.   I am a very infrequent use of the program and last summer (using a trial version) I figured out how to make a design that includes a raised center area (see this YouTube video below).  Unfortunately, before I was able to upgrade to the paid version (and therefore save my design) the program crashed, taking my design with it.  I was thinking that if I could see Ducati007's plan, it might help me remember how I got that raised center section last time I was trying this. I now have the paid version and can save the design -- if I can figure out how to recreate it. :)

I know I had found either a tutorial or an explanation of how to do that raised center section, but now I cannot recall how to do it or find the lessons that were so helpful a year ago.

)

1 hour ago, Jo_Ann said:

AND...

I was not meaning to be condescending or rude to Ducati007.

I was only stating the FACTS. 

Sometimes when we read the writing of others we perceive condescension or rudeness where none was intended. Like @Ducati007, I perceived the tone of your comments as patronizing and worded in such a way as to make him feel stupid for misapplying @solver's instructions.  I apologize for misinterpreting your intent.

4 minutes ago, solver said:

Should this be "but now I can not recall how to do it".

And the information/videos above are not helping?

Why not start your own thread -- read over my 2nd comment above first.

Yes.  I've edited my reply to fix that.  Thank you.

I'll more carefully review your information and see if I can figure it out and, if not, I'll try a new thread.  Thanks again.

On 5/28/2021 at 12:58 PM, solver said:

Should this be "but now I can not recall how to do it".

And the information/videos above are not helping?

Why not start your own thread -- read over my 2nd comment above first.

I downloaded @Ducati007's second plan and worked off of that.  With his second plan, your second video made a lot of sense.  Thank you so much.  Now I'm going to have a flood of additional questions, but I'll start new threads for those.