Rafter Birdsmouths - odd behaviour

Andy_C

Hi there, hopefully a simple question... But I can't get my roof framing to generate sensible birds mouths. They are on top of the top plates, rather than flush with them. See attached.

This is one of two gable roof planes. The other is fine, but I can't get this one to build properly. Is there a simple setting I'm missing?

I've tried adjusting wall, ceiling heights, removing attic walls etc; changing the room settings.

Help? :)

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 09.38.47.png

Hey, thank you for this. I'll play around with the baseline. I didn't pro-actively draw a baseline in - but I must have moved it inadvertently at some point.

With the Birdsmouth vs. Flat cut - what's causing that? The steeper roof timbers do have birdsmouths in if you zoom.

Thanks so much for your time :)

3 minutes ago, Andy_C said:

Hey, thank you for this. I'll play around with the baseline. I didn't pro-actively draw a baseline in - but I must have moved it inadvertently at some point.

If you are doing manual roofs, the Baseline is something you need to understand -- where it is, what effect it has on how the roof builds etc.

5 minutes ago, Andy_C said:

With the Birdsmouth vs. Flat cut - what's causing that?

Geometry, probably.

And your roof should easily auto build -- have you tried?

Hey again, The auto-built roof just does a single slope across the full length of the building. I couldn't get it to create two separate slopes for different sections... I'm probably missing something?

:( That's somewhat frustrating... I watched all the roof tutorials and could not figure this out. Do I simply auto-build one roof... Then re-size that so it's out of the way, then auto-build another roof?