Temporary Dimensions

Tripyrenees

Hi

Totally new to Home Designer Architectural but I have been using the trial version and assumed the Temporary Dimensions did not work due to the trial.  But now with activated software the Temporary Dimensions do not show - I have the option selected under VIEW.

I have searched for Text Size in case it was just too small but nothing comes up at all.

I am trying to trace my Building Lot and using temporary dimensions to set the scale to work from.

Any ideas what I am going wrong.  

Thanks

Ian

2 hours ago, Tripyrenees said:

Temporary Dimensions do not show

They are programmed to appear ONLY when at least two visible objects or lines are selected, then they "temporarily" show while any object is selected and NO other time.

I have searched for Text Size in case it was just too small but nothing comes up at all.

Most Default behaviors and appearances are controlled under "Edit - Default Settings". For "Text" it is "Edit - Default Settings - Text", take a look please.

I am trying to trace my Building Lot and using temporary dimensions to set the scale to work from.

The software is not designed to do as you describe, rather, you draw objects, lines, or a terrain plane in plan view and then using temporary or manually drawn dimensions to relation-ally shape it to match your actual lot. "NORTH" is indicated by using a manually drawn "North Pointer" to indicate magnetic North relative to the orientation of your structure's "north-south" orientation in a plan view screen.

Any ideas what I am going wrong.  

Part of learning anything is to first diddle around with an application a little to become familiar with it. I think you are done with that phase. Next found under the "HELP" menu you will find your next Study/Practice Materials, including "Users Guide" which you should read carefully, every page in it, Your "Reference Manual" which describes with lots of words and pictures the basic things you need to know to start using the software. I DO NOT recommend you read the Reference Manual like a novel as it is over two thousand pages long, rather  you "Search" it for specific matters you are currently having trouble with or are interested in mastering, you read the material and then open the software to practice what you studied to validate that you did understand what you just studied a matter at a time.Then there is searchable "Help Files" found under "Help", access to help videos on the Home Designer/Chief Architect websites, again you should view those not as a "Binge Watch" but by topic and personal interest. I have created a YouTube page with over 500 videos I have created to address specific questions by users here on this forum and on Chief Talk (which is for Chief Architect Premier users).

Some of these YouTube  videos of mine may help get you started as well as the introductory videos on the Home Designer Website. Best of success to you! The software does what it does based upon ONLY what an informed YOU tells it to do, it is not intelligent, it does not know ANYTHING other than simply reacting to what you do and how you do it in a pre-programmed way. It is not an Architect, Engineer, Builder, Developer, Plumber, Electrician or HVAC tech, rather it is a great additional tool, once learned to help you communicate your building desires to other building professionals that will help you bring your dreams to reality. What is produces is a direct mirror of your own competence using it and NOTHING else.

DJP

13 hours ago, Tripyrenees said:

I'm guessing you have an image of your lot that you want to trace. You need to scale the image first.

Go to the Home Designer website and search for trace

Temporary dimensions are not disabled in the trial.

Here is a video that goes over using temporary dimensions to draw a plan.

Watch on YouTube: https://youtu.be/Po5mVf5QnO0

On 7/24/2020 at 12:16 AM, solver said:

I see you are just at the edge of the Pyrenees. I'm looking forward to the start of this years Le Tour to get my yearly virtual vacation in France.

Yes, just near to Luchon.  We actually run a cycling tour company (15 years now) and this is the first Tour de France that we will miss.  But I will get to see the Tourmalet stage of the Vuelta which is coming shortly afterwards.  

Thanks for all the info - I will get on with it now.