Saltbox roof problems

sk3499

I'm trying to build the schematic for a closet under a saltbox roof.  Is it an interior or exterior wall if the closet goes halfway down the slope of the roof. I don't have an exterior wall where the slope ends at the bottom right now. Seems like I need one, but I want it to know thats just the bottom of the roof slope, not a real wall. How do I tell it that?

Typically you use interior walls and  in the Wall's DBX (dialog box) you set the wall(s) to be a knee wall so it is cut off by the roof where needed. 

if your situation is different post some pics as Solver suggested  ( search how to post pics if needed, I posted on that before)

M.

Verbal semantics.....  He/she is just trying to draw a cupboard. In or near the roof following the roof line ...???? mmm

Schematic diagram, is a representation of the elements of  a system using abstract, graphic  symbols rather than realistic pictures. The term prior to 1980s was  usually used by electronic engineers. Its just verbal semantics.

Perhaps you could draw it on paper take a photo and show us what you are trying to do. Tell us what program you are using and wella... Some one will help you. 

This is the second floor. In the bottom left there is no explicit exterior wall because that is all roof slope, but the closet is under the roof. Do I need to put an explicit exterior wall there?

The two rooms in the middle are dormers. They stick out into the saltbox part, so they do have exterior walls.

post-1420-0-66192700-1420334129_thumb.png

yes, its my house. I have a 1725 saltbox that has been redone many times, and they put layer after layer of interior walls over the old ones.

I can post a picture of that side of the house.

100_0779 shows the 2 dormers looking from the right side of the plan toward the house.

The other shows from the left side of the plan toward the house. See the saltbox roof on that side.

post-1420-0-06974300-1420336603_thumb.jpg

post-1420-0-15595800-1420336604_thumb.jpg

Well the bigger problem is the auto roof is 10 kinds of screwed up in the program. I want to fix that. There should be 2 gabled ends on the colonial part and then the saltbox part down to the first floor with the two dormers. The program is making hipped roof lines from the dormers at angles. I'm not sure how to make it do what I want.

I have tried those. The dormers are confusing the program. It thinks the roof should angle to them. I tried making those real dormers with the tool, but it said I couldn't have two right next to each other, so I made them part of the floor plan.

Those 'dormers' are not dormers.  They are simply rooms drawn on your 2nd story floor plan.

If you are suggesting that you want to extend the 2 front left closets into the roof slope area, then you need to draw a wall where you want them to extend to, (or drag/extend the existing interior wall that is visible in the floor plan)  and designate the wall  (wall dialog box, roof tab)  as a knee wall (so that the roof will continue to slope over it). 

Posting a 1st floor plan jpeg would also be helpful.