Probblem with stray wall section end showing thru finished wall

CCRRAR2

I am close to having all of the basic structure completed but have a bit of a strange bit of wall showing through the finished wall in one spot. Rather than trying to explain I have attached three images and the plan. One image shows the problem on the inside wall, one is a cross section of the problem are and the third is just showing where in the plan the problem is.

There appears to be a small section of exterior wall visible in the cross section that is cussing the problem but I cannot figure out where it is from or how to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob

HD Professional 15(newly upgraded)

.post-665-0-23028400-1420159642_thumb.jpgpost-665-0-94724500-1420159642_thumb.jpgpost-665-0-30207700-1420159643_thumb.jpgBucknell-Rosenbaum.zip

hi Rob I think you have 2-3 issues actually 

the lower problem appears to be an issue with your roof returns ....too long , sec pic

and the upper one is being caused I think by the solid rail on the upper floor not building/connecting properly at each end so perhaps try rebuilding it   

post-25-0-42718500-1420162147_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-22869000-1420162160_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-75144700-1420162169_thumb.jpg

Mick

No, luck. I stripped off all of the roof planes, baselines, etc. and still have the stray marks on the wall. I also deleted and rebuilt the 1/2 wall and that did not fix the molding issue. I chalked that one up to a software bug because it is present only in the open below section and mot the rest of the loft.

I attached a new plan without the roof.

Thanks again for taming a look.

RobBucknell-Rosenbaum no roof.zip

there is (was?) a bug with crown moulding in open below rooms are you fully updated?  ( turn your view and look at the other side, the crown is down 6-8 inches)

change the railing to match the other side (balusters) and see if that fixes it temporarily , I'm wondering if this is another bug

The roof return options are in the Roof tab of the WALL DBX , however I think now that issue is actually a floor too high ( for what we see inside) after another quick look, for some reason the auto return isn't joining the main roof on the bumpout properly but being an auto return we can't select it I don't think to resize manually ,just change the length in the DBX

They may not have fixed the open below room crown issue yet , we reported it a while back but the latest updates are here:

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/support/updates.html

Mick

The last plan I uploaded does not have a roof to create the problem, my previous post was mot clear.  I stripped/deleted all related elements and did not rebuild the roof.  Also, the issue appears to be between the first and second floors and not at the top of the second floor where the roof returns could cause a problem.

My software should be up to dates since I just updated to Pro recently. I will double check just to make sure.

Rob

I remember this plan.

Made lots of small changes to the roofs and cleaned up many of the artifacts on the inside and outside.

Also fixed the siding on the interior wall in the library.

Many of the walls were not aligned between floors.

Still more work to do, but this should get you started.

Your dining room ceiling height is 6" different from the rest , making it default height fixes some of the crown issues etc , the miss aligned walls are due to the automatic wall Pro is building to make up the height difference it looks like after I deleted some of your existing walls I found autowalls too.

still looking .

did not notice you uploaded a new plan or that Eric is "playing" too  that's good I don't have Pro15 so can't fix issues for you , just look....

post-25-0-84061900-1420167600_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-38567800-1420167632_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-81501900-1420167645_thumb.jpg

Eric

Thanks for the look, you have a good memory.  Your assistance last time was helpful and I believe I have leaned much from you and others on this board.  I took a look at the plan you posted and it still has the show through issue originally identified.  (see attached pic.)

Any other suggestions?

Rob

post-665-0-56740700-1420167765_thumb.jpg

it is the end of   a weird piece of OSB , I used the delete surface tool to look in at it but here is another view too ( looking down into the wall), might be cos of the dining room being a different height at one point or something you did to get that front door area to have the flat top which seems about the same height.?

btw making the roof return FULL on he sec. floor gable make it work better , you can then shape the smaller roof plane to match it.

M.

post-25-0-00435700-1420170307_thumb.jpg

the crown is fixed by making the Dining rm the default height (109 1/8  instead of 103") but you can do it manually too :)

except at that 9" wall at the stairwell and above the solid rail but I didn't play much , when you make that wall 9" wide it loses the drywall in plan view and the crown doesn't generate.

Hi I have had lots of bugs with the new download that I downloaded Christmas week. HD pro update. I contacted support but they claim it is something I did. So  I have started saving some of the messages. Unfortunately you cannot capture all the bugs to show them. We all need to let them know. I have been very happy since I got my new computer the program has been behaving rather well. However this new down load has sent me up the wall for the last week.

I made one change that seemed to fix everything -- OK almost everything. It caused a problem, but it should be a simple fix.

Looking at a Doll House view, I noticed the dining room showed walls lower than the rest of the 1st floor. I added the height of the missing second floor, floor structure, or 12 5/8" to the height of the room. I then set the Open Below room above to it's default height. This brought the walls to the correct height and corrected all the artifacts.

The area over the front door needs work, but it's looking better.

Take a look at this one. Should be fairly clean. 

I added a soffit above the front porch to hide the framing. Also created a room for the porch to get the ceiling height down.

Fixed the roof return issue in front by drawing a manual roof return.

Fixed a wall that wanted to protrude through the roof -- look at a Doll House view of the first floor to see it. just selected it and dragged it down.

Eric and Mick

Thanks again for all of your help.  Through you guidance, I learned one important thing and believe I found a bug.

Learning:  The ceiling height in a room under an "open below area" needs to be the same as the floor height of the space above.  This seems counter intuitive because the default setting sets the rough and finished ceilings at the same height. Based on my now known to be flawed reasoning,  early on I matched the ceiling height of the lower space to the rest of the ceilings on that floor.   As soon as I let lower room have its default ceiling height it fixed the crown molding and one of the two areas where rough material was showing through the drywall.

Bug: The second spot where rough material is showing through seems to be a bug.  Along one edge of the open space there is a half wall.  Just below where the half wall meets the corner of two outside walls there is a spot of rough material showing through and the crown minding on top does not go around the corner. When I replaced the half wall with a full wall the spot went away and the crown molding met as it should.  This is shown in the two pictures below.  If someone else can duplicate what I believe to be a bug I will happily report it.

Rob

post-665-0-07193800-1420233146_thumb.jpg

post-665-0-15275200-1420233145_thumb.jpg

When you designate an open below room you don't need to manipulate any of the floor (ceiling) heights yourself to correct anything , the program is smart enough for that :)   as mentioned yesterday I found your dining rm was 103" tall while the rest of the main floor was 109" ,the Open below Room above also had been altered to a different height from the "default" 97" from the rest of the  2nd floor ,switching those back to default fixed one issue and the crown on the other walls but not the other issue where that piece of OSB is showing its end , but I am not sure why there are autowalls generating in this location either , I'd send the plan in and try and get some feedback from TS, as I think  you are right about the solid rail causing an issue , it also stops the crown building on the 9" thick wall at the other end for some reason, if that wall is a normal 4 1/2" the crown builds as expected.

a bit more playing and the OSB issue is fixed/fixable if that solid half rail is made into a full wall, switch it back to a 1/2 wall /railing and the OSB issue comes back , so yes I'd send the plan in and ask them to check this thread too and/or respond here too.

M.