Measuring Height of Interior Attic Space?

davidstvz

I want to mark the areas in my attic which have 7+ feet of clearance from the top of the joists to the bottom of the rafters.

I can think of some ways to do this including manually measuring in elevation views, but that would be slow.  Another idea: I could use a custom countertop set at a height of 7 feet above the joists then adjust the edges in 3D until they just touch the roof rafters (then trace it with a normal polyline).

Can anyone think of a better way?

Actually, the countertop polyline is working really well so far.  I just made an orthographic full overview and am viewing the roof top down and dragging the counter edge until I can just barely see it.  I have it set at 8 feet above the attic "floor" (which is the top of the finished ceiling) to account for joist and rafter thickness.  This is good enough since it doesn't have to be exact.

I have always just used a cross section or back-clipped cross section camera and dimension tools for that job. That said there is no reason some other procedures could and do work. Chief and Home Designer offer numerous ways to achieve a desired effect which, I believe is one of their strengths.

DJP