Roof Trusses and Ridge Board or Beam

Normando

Hello:

Note: I am a complete amateur using HD Pro 2017. Please be patient!

I am designing a simple shed/workshop and want to use engineered trusses instead of building rafters. 

I followed the advice of video 2250 to remove all framing and then create the trusses. 

The final step is to use the Build Framing dialog to rebuild the walls and roof. In the case of the roof, the software builds the roof framing around the defined trusses.

So here is my observation and question:

When the roof framing is built around the trusses, what appears to be a ridge beam is inserted. Looking closely at the framing overview, it is hard to tell how the ridge part of the roof structure is put together. 

I have included a screen capture of the Framing Overview. Looking at the very peak(A), it looks as though blocks are inserted between the trusses. However, looking at the bottom of this "beam"(B), it appears to be a solid beam running the length of the ridge.

So, fundamentally, I am wondering how this ridge beam is to be constructed, as it relates to the engineered trusses.

Advice will be greatly appreciated!

Norm

Truss with Ridge Beam.JPG

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I was thinking, but since the software plugs in what appears to be a beam, I became uncertain. It did this also in the training video #2250.

Should I just remove the "beam" altogether? 

Thanks!

Norm

On 7/3/2020 at 12:21 PM, Normando said:

Should I just remove the "beam" altogether? 

Of course! New users must understand that the software, though created by very smart individuals, is not a substitute for State Licensed Engineers (the ONLY legal persons who can legally design trusses) and that the software is not a substitute for a State Licensed Architect of Architectural Designer for the same reasons. What it is for, once thoroughly learned is to aid one to draft, conceptually, a 3D model to communicate one's desires to Building Professionals as to your desires of outcome. All that one needs to create a structure are basic plans, (floor plans, elevations etc) to share with a truss company or Engineer for them to design the trusses. Anything you draw in terms of framing is purely conceptual (you are not trained or licensed to design structures in detail). You can do a lot of useful to yourself and Building Professionals to obtain your desires and dreams. Learn the tools and settings of the software but leave the highly technical side of structures to those who went to college, and obtained a state license to do that particular work is my advice,

DJP